Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of the ticking! I've taken it to the dealership to see how much to do this, and they make it clear they don't want to do it. It took some talking just to get a guy to come out and give it a listen (at which time it was barely ticking, of course!). They just keep saying "It's not going to hurt anything, just ride it like that." Even if it is true, I don't like riding it when it's making that noise.

My question: Can the top end be accessed without dropping the engine? The manual says to "remove the engine" to replace the HLAs. I was looking at it, and it kinda looks like if I take the tank and the coolant hoses off, I might be able to get the covers off and get in there. Has anyone tried it? If so, were you successful? I don't mind taking the tank off, and I'd like to look inside the top to see if I feel comfy doing the HLAs and the tube thingy with the sintered screen.

Speaking of which: Is there any reason a guy couldn't just drill a hole through that screen? It seems to be a problem. The only reason I could see not to is if it somehow regulates pressure or something. As far as just filtering, it seems to be overkill.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm tired of the ticking! I've taken it to the dealership to see how much to do this, and they make it clear they don't want to do it. It took some talking just to get a guy to come out and give it a listen (at which time it was barely ticking, of course!). They just keep saying "It's not going to hurt anything, just ride it like that." Even if it is true, I don't like riding it when it's making that noise.

My question: Can the top end be accessed without dropping the engine? The manual says to "remove the engine" to replace the HLAs. I was looking at it, and it kinda looks like if I take the tank and the coolant hoses off, I might be able to get the covers off and get in there. Has anyone tried it? If so, were you successful? I don't mind taking the tank off, and I'd like to look inside the top to see if I feel comfy doing the HLAs and the tube thingy with the sintered screen.

Speaking of which: Is there any reason a guy couldn't just drill a hole through that screen? It seems to be a problem. The only reason I could see not to is if it somehow regulates pressure or something. As far as just filtering, it seems to be overkill.

Thoughts?
Remove front engine bolts lower on to block of wood then replace HLA'S drill 1/8 in hole threw filters. If you change your oil every 3000 miles you not be dealing with this.
IF IT WHERE MINE..5.5 Qts Shell Rotella T6 5/40 Sny and a .5 Qt Auto Trans fluid leave it in till it stops ticking then change it if ticking not gone by 1500 miles then pull and drill.
Bare

Bare

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove front engine bolts lower on to block of wood then replace HLA'S drill 1/8 in hole threw filters. If you change your oil every 3000 miles you not be dealing with this.
Bare
Thanks for the tip.

I do change the oil at least every 3000 miles. Actually, it's been a little more often lately because of the noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts