Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow riders, I am planning on replacing my rear tire on my 04 Vn2000, the tire shop is asking for $316 if I bring my motorcycle in and they take care of the whole process, I find it expensive, so I decided to take out the wheel myself and take it to the shop for tire replacement. I have found the original Bridgestone tire on amazon for $150 and I would think the shop will charge around $30 for tire mounting and wheel balance and I will reinstall the wheel myself. My question is that should I remove the rear pulley prior to taking it to the shop or leave in place. I do not want to do any unnecessary work especially I heard that taking out the pulley for the first time is very difficult.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
I swapped out my own tire with the pulley removed, just so it sat better on the tire machine. That said, I think I actually had it rotor side down. The pulley pulls off, no tools necessary. Also a good time to clean and inspect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
991 Posts
In the frozen wastelands of western Canada, $316 would be a raging bargain. I always take my wheel off myself and take it down to the local tire shop to get a new one put on. I am a darksider now but I only took the whole bike to the shop once for a M/C tire, and then never again... 20 minutes with a screwdriver and three wrenches can save you a couple of hundred Canadian Loonies......:surprise:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on my rear wheel tire replacement,

I am not mechanically inclined, however somehow managed to remove the rear wheel from the motorcycle, took it to the shop where they mounted the new tire and the cost was $23 including balance. I reinstalled the wheel on the motorcycle and it took me two and half hours of sweating to complete. The tire is OEM Bridgestone Batlax and I ordered it from Amazon for $163 including tax. Took the the bike for a spin and all feels fine. I am very happy with the outcome and learning in the process.

Thanks to all for your advice and help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts