Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GRRRRRRR..... :confused: :confused: How hard can it be to replace rear shocks????? Looking at the manual, this appears to be a straight forward process and the hardest part appears to be getting the darn saddlebags off and back on the bike. I won't cause a ruckus by telling everyone how much the local dealer wanted to do the job, but the wife and I could have a nice weekend in Vegas for what they expected me to pay (gambling excluded).

To make a long story short, I went out and ordered a set of Progressives and wanted to have them installed, rather than deal with it myself and have to go out to buy a bike lift.

Questions:

Is the replacement of the shocks as easy as it seems from reading the shop manual? Seems pretty basic.... Remove left bag, remove left shock, install left shock, install left bag... Repeat on right side. If there is a trick to it let me know. If needed, I can try to use another shop locally to do the install.

Is there anyway to get around lifting up the bike to complete the install? I would love to just bolt these on, but worry that a lift is mandatory. Maybe I need to just pick up the $120 bike lift from PepBoys and dig into this very expensive repair job?

Input requested.....

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
If you have a harbor freight close by, better deal on lift. For the other question on getting around it without a lift, I don't have an answer

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If its something where you dont think you'll use the lift again, all you need is enough lift to take the weight off the shock, to where tire is just to leave the ground. The jack for you truck or car may be just do it. Lift at rear most part of frame from right side. This will take the pressure off and front tire and kick stand will stablize bike. Best to have helper near by, but should be good to go. Remove nut on top and bottom of shock, slide old ones off and new ones on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
GRRRRRRR..... :confused: :confused: How hard can it be to replace rear shocks????? Looking at the manual, this appears to be a straight forward process and the hardest part appears to be getting the darn saddlebags off and back on the bike. I won't cause a ruckus by telling everyone how much the local dealer wanted to do the job, but the wife and I could have a nice weekend in Vegas for what they expected me to pay (gambling excluded).

To make a long story short, I went out and ordered a set of Progressives and wanted to have them installed, rather than deal with it myself and have to go out to buy a bike lift.

Questions:

Is the replacement of the shocks as easy as it seems from reading the shop manual? Seems pretty basic.... Remove left bag, remove left shock, install left shock, install left bag... Repeat on right side. If there is a trick to it let me know. If needed, I can try to use another shop locally to do the install.

Is there anyway to get around lifting up the bike to complete the install? I would love to just bolt these on, but worry that a lift is mandatory. Maybe I need to just pick up the $120 bike lift from PepBoys and dig into this very expensive repair job?

Input requested.....
It's not quite as easy as you may think. Remove saddlebags, yes, but you won't be able to simply remove the shock because you can't get to the top nut without removing the plastichrome trim, and to get that trim off you are supposed to remove the trunk. The shop manual also says to remove the rear fender front cover..... not sure why? And since the Progressive shocks are shorter than stock, you will need to remove both original shocks before installing the new ones, so definitely need to raise and support the rear of the bike.
There are a few short-cuts, remove the fasteners from the front of the trim and bend it out enough to get the nut and shock off will save some time. And using a floor jack under the rear tire will help adjust the swingarm to get the shorter shocks on.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Steve, Rick, and Garry. Good info and it will help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts