Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my 04 V2K front/rear bearings and upgrade the HUB to 06. Do I need any special tools for replacing the bearings? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
754 Posts
oceanboy, that is a beautiful bike. Did you get the rear pulley from BigSarge? I can't tell you for sure if special tools are needed, but I would think not. I can only think of a belt tension gauge once you've got the rear wheel on again. But, then I've never done a hub change. When you tear into it perhaps take some pics to post for us that haven't changed out the hubs yet? Just an idea. DIY is a great feeling of accomplishment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oceanboy, that is a beautiful bike. Did you get the rear pulley from BigSarge? I can't tell you for sure if special tools are needed, but I would think not. I can only think of a belt tension gauge once you've got the rear wheel on again. But, then I've never done a hub change. When you tear into it perhaps take some pics to post for us that haven't changed out the hubs yet? Just an idea. DIY is a great feeling of accomplishment.
Thanks TB2000,

I bought that chrome pulley from bigsarge. I have the rear wheel off several times and I have the tension gauge. I was busy with new toy and did not have time to work on my bike. Hopefully I have time to work on it before summer.

New 2013 R8 V10. Just bought it this weekend...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'd think that if you're comfortable taking the rear wheel off, the hub change shouldn't be that hard. There exploded views on the internet. Do you have a manual for the torques on the bolts?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd think that if you're comfortable taking the rear wheel off, the hub change shouldn't be that hard. There exploded views on the internet. Do you have a manual for the torques on the bolts?
Bill Braske,

I have the manual and I am very comfortable of taking the wheel off. My biggest concern is how to remove and install the bearings.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I haven't done it, but I don't think it's hard. They don't need to be pressed in or anything like that. When the guy put mine in, he didn't think it was going to fit. Apparently, he had the one "T" shaped collar backwards. Don't know if that helps, but I figure more information is better than less information.

And my bearing fell out in pieces, so I can't shed any light there. It's funny, cuz just the day before I had it up to 100+ mph. I'm a lucky guy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
You're going to want to get a bearing puller, got mine from Harbor Freight for not much. A blind hole bearing puller to be exact. It has a piece that goes into the bearing and expands then you put a slide hammer on it and wear your tricept out. You will feel the burn in the morning. Put your bearings in the freezer for at least 24 hrs and if you have a heat gun, heat the wheel. Your new bearings will tap right in with a rubber mallet. Keep the old bearing you pull out to tap the new ones in. I put a little heat to mine as I was taking them out and it seemed to help. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Now that I think about it, if you're replacing the hub, the bearings are already installed, right? That takes care of that!

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
The chrome side covers where made by "Bike Bike Parts". They don't make them anymore.

Nice looking bike ya got there ocean. Course, I'm kind of partial to that color, since it's what mine was (and actually still is.).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will order the bearing puller as Kyrocket suggested. If I can't pull them out I will load the wheels into my truck and take it to the dealer and let them remove and install it. The dealer is 6 miles from my house.

greymatter,

I forgot how much I paid. It's been awhile and I can't remember. Sorry...

smedlin,

Thank you for the Mustang tank bib. I like it a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
chrome rear pulley

Where do I get one of those chrome pulleys i just installed the lower belt guard now the pulley looks blah. How much do they run also?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Where do I get one of those chrome pulleys i just installed the lower belt guard now the pulley looks blah. How much do they run also?
I got mine the same place that sarge got his.

http://www.simmonsmotorworks.com

Chip (the owner) works off an exchange program. He will send you a nice shiny pulley, you put it on your bike, then send him your pulley in "exchange". He then chromes that pulley for the next guy.

I don't remember how much it cost for the pulley. His page list the cost of the pulley and the chromed hub together. But, you can get only the pulley. (I only got the pulley).

That is also where I had my rims chromed, using the same "exchange" program. (i did the pulley and the rims at the same time).

that's ALSO where I had my calipers chromed.

now, i will say, for the calipers, he is much more expensive than most people. Twice as expensive actually.

however, most shops expect YOU to tear down the caliper, then send the "shells" to them to be chromed, and YOU rebuild them.

With Chip, just take out the pads, drain the fluids, and ship them to him. He tears them apart and rebuilds them.

and, he also sands off that TANIKO logo, making the caliper very smooth and nice looking. Was worth the money.

Anways, that is where the pulley came from.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Smed if you would put on a C/T that bike it would be dang near perfect. bd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts