Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am going to replace my drive belt on an '09 Nomad/1700 that I bought used, so have no idea how much mileage is on it. I have an appointment scheduled with a local dealer for same in a few weeks. They said a drag specialties belt is about half the price of an OEM belt. I suspect a drag specialties belt is just as good, but wanted to ask you experts... thoughts?

Reason for the change is i am expecting to go on a long / ~10k ride this summer.

Thanks.
Neil

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why replace ? Just because of the mileage ? Any damage ? How many miles on the bike ?

If not damaged and not 100 Kmls on the bike, I wouldnt replaced it.

Haveyou had a look in the manual, what is written there about belt replacing ?
I found nothing about to replace at any mileage. Only when damaged, so . . .

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike has about 65K km's. nothing obvious in terms of problems that I've seen, but am looking to reasonably reduce likelihood of problems on such a long ride and distance from home. The owners manual only says to inspect for deflection and wear every 6K kms. Thanks for responding Demolition Man. :)

I am having my oil/filter changed and the spark plugs as well, and a general minor service to confirm all the fasteners etc are tight and nothing obvious is wrong. I've got good wear available on my tires. Anything else you'd suggest based on experience? I am newer to riding and this will be the first long trip I've taken. I am riding with a buddy who's experienced in years of riding and long distance travel, so am relying quite a bit on his advise and articles/videos I've read on the internet.

Thx.
Neil

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For a 10,000 mile ride? Damn! That's a nice ride!

I'd check my coolant and replace it for giggles. New or clean air filters.

And I'd check on the age of the tires. There's tons of information on-line as to the debates about when to change tires out age-wise and how to read the codes to determine the age of your tires. Educate yourself on the various thought processes about the issue and make your own decision as to change them out or not.

Personally, I agree with Demolition Man about the belt. I'd be far more concerned about the tires than the belt. We all understand and concur on your natural desire to reduce the likelihood of issues along such a journey. Since the tires take the physical load every second of the trip, I'd err on the side of caution with them first.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My current drive belt and pulleys have over 250,000 kms on them. (not a misprint) There is some wear on the front pulley but the belt looks great, it does squeak a bit but I have no concerns about reliability. I plan to replace it at 400k just for peace of mind.
I would definitely not replace a perfectly good OEM belt with aftermarket belt of unknown material or reliability, and I'd have no problem adding 10k to a belt that has already gone 65k, actually I'd run it for another 2-300k without worry.
I don't know who make the belt that Drag Specialty sells, but if it is a Gates some resellers are advertising it as 'for show only, not to used to drive a bike'.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Would have to agree with the other posters. Drive Belt failure is very rare and is usually the result of a sharp foreign object getting lodged between it and the pulley, not mileage. The stock belt is of good quality (carbon fiber) and if there is no visible damage to it, personally I wouldn't waste the time & cost to replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Closing out the thread

Thanks for the feedback all. My trip is done. 9300 km or 5800 miles in 12 days. Saw a huge swath of the US. Toronto to Roanoke crossing border in buffalo. Roanoke to Deals gap to ride tail of the dragon. Then onto Montgomery Alabama. Then to New Orleans, Austin TX , SAN Antonio, El Passo, Durango Colorado to Rock Springs Wyoming. Then home to Toronto. Thank you to all the people I met along the way that made it a great experience. And my travelling companions. Cheers!

BTW, I did not change my belt and it held up just fine. ����

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the feedback all. My trip is done. 9300 km or 5800 miles in 12 days. Saw a huge swath of the US. Toronto to Roanoke crossing border in buffalo. Roanoke to Deals gap to ride tail of the dragon. Then onto Montgomery Alabama. Then to New Orleans, Austin TX , SAN Antonio, El Passo, Durango Colorado to Rock Springs Wyoming. Then home to Toronto. Thank you to all the people I met along the way that made it a great experience. And my travelling companions. Cheers!

BTW, I did not change my belt and it held up just fine. ����

Thanks for the feedback !

Cu,
Sven

1 - 10 of 10 Posts