Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to replace a missing key on a 1994 EN500A for a friend. From digging online, I get the impression that Kawasaki no longer offers replacement keys based on VIN from the dealerships. There are a bunch of online options for getting replacements cut based on key code, but I haven't been able to locate the code on the bike yet.

1) The owners manual is long gone, so no place with it written down.
2) The helmet lock must have been removed at some point, so no luck there.
3) Nothing is written on the exterior of the seat release lock. I removed the tumbler and it says KL317, then AD underneath.
4) The ignition lock has '3523' on it, but according to the lock place I checked with it should be an A or B followed by six digits.
5) Is it even possible to remove the fork or gas tank locks without destroying them?

Alternatively, has anyone had success with just taking older Kawasaki locks to local locksmiths and having keys made from that?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have a '81 Yamaha XS1100 previous owner changed the gas cap, so the key too. The one key i got with the bike fit the ignition and fuel cap but nothing else. There's a helmet lock and a lock to pull the side cover, like my Vulcan 500. I wanted to do a repaint and couldn't remove the cover which is also the battery access. I got the helmet lock off took it to the locksmith and he cut a new key to fit.
Now I have two different keys but he had blanks for duplicating both. $35 to fit a key and 4 for an extra. The new key fits the ignition so I'm guessing the PO screwdrivered the ignition so the gas cap key would fit.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
A competent locksmith should be able to generate keys for you if you take them the locks. I will check our books to see if the locks you have removed have all the cuts available. If they do not you may have to take the ignition lock off or take the entire bike to them to generate keys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts