Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new 2008 900 custom and I love it. So far, I've only put about 300 miles on. I'm looking to replace the stock seat with something a little more comfortable. I'm a big/tall guy (6' 4', 320 lbs.). Reviews I've read seem to recommend Mustang seats, but most people say they move you forward a bit. With the length of my legs I find the pegs/controls just barely comfortable. I don't think I could stand moving forward (even 1") without the need to move the pegs/controls. Any suggestions? Also, I'd like something more comfortable for the passenger seat (wider and thicker). Lastly, I'm new to riding (took the msf course in July). I know I'm pretty close to pushing the weight limit on the bike, but before I start thinking about something bigger (and more expensive), I'd like to see if my wife will even enjoy being a passenger. Would it be safe to ride 2 up if you're over the weight limit (assuming I keep the speed down and don't push the envelope)? Thanks

·
Registered
441 Posts
Picked up my new 2008 900 custom and I love it. So far, I've only put about 300 miles on. I'm looking to replace the stock seat with something a little more comfortable. I'm a big/tall guy (6' 4', 320 lbs.). Reviews I've read seem to recommend Mustang seats, but most people say they move you forward a bit. With the length of my legs I find the pegs/controls just barely comfortable. I don't think I could stand moving forward (even 1") without the need to move the pegs/controls. Any suggestions? Also, I'd like something more comfortable for the passenger seat (wider and thicker). Lastly, I'm new to riding (took the msf course in July). I know I'm pretty close to pushing the weight limit on the bike, but before I start thinking about something bigger (and more expensive), I'd like to see if my wife will even enjoy being a passenger. Would it be safe to ride 2 up if you're over the weight limit (assuming I keep the speed down and don't push the envelope)? Thanks
Well I am a little shorter (5 11) than you and I have some weight on you and I ride passengers on my bike. Find a rear suspension setting that works for you and increase the tire pressure in the rear to at least 38psi or even 40psi.

As far as a seat goes I have a nice Kawi studded gel seat for sale. It is very comphy and gives nice lower back support. PM me if you want to know more. I am asking $200 shipped or best offer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Look at the Corbin Dual Tourer, a bit spendy over the Mustang, but you give them your weight/height/inseam, etc... and they can either pull something of the shelf that will fit you needs or custom build one.

Mine has about 2500 miles on it and is just getting broke-in. Did about 1100 miles last weekend and no hot spots or sore butt.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Look at the Corbin Dual Tourer, a bit spendy over the Mustang, but you give them your weight/height/inseam, etc... and they can either pull something of the shelf that will fit you needs or custom build one.

Mine has about 2500 miles on it and is just getting broke-in. Did about 1100 miles last weekend and no hot spots or sore butt.
+1
The Corbin I had pulled me lower and back so for a tall rider like you this should be a good choice. The OEM Gel, Mustang, Saddleman will move you up and forward. And yes, the Corbin is a bit higher on price but the quality of their seats is top notch. I miss mine so bad:(

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm 6'2" and my mustang did move me forward a bit, and up. But I have 2 inch risers on my bars and have it all adjusted. I've also got an LT with engine guard and Kury pegs on it adjusted for comfort and gate latch heel catches on the front mounting holes of the footrests. You don't have those. But I am a little close but comfortable and can kick out to the highway pegs easy enough. You're 2 inches taller so Corbin might be the way OR Russels day long. They also make one for you and cost even more then Corbin but are the ultimate. Anyways, you'll want to get away from the stock pan, it's horrible for a bigger feller, if your tailbone hasn't told you that yet.

As far as weight, I'm 300 pounds and I regularly throw a bunch of gear on the bike and then hook the trailer up and pull it along loaded. You won't have the pull that a 1500 or 2000 will have, but it gets along just fine. I've ridden two up several times. The last time was kinda funny. After taking a bike down the hill from a crash I ran a biker back up the hill to pck up his wife and bike. We're both big boys and probably had 550 pounds on the bike. I pulled a U-turn, pulled up to his wife and bike and noticed the gravel that got his mother to slide off the road. I pretty much had it stopped when he decided to dismount at about 2 mph and the shifting of his weight in addition to the gravel and my wishing I had planned on stopping about 10 foot shorter almost had us sliding over into his bike with aerial dismounts to boot I would guess. All ended well and his mother is just about recovered from her knee operations. Like our 2 mph slide, she pretty much had the bike stopped but just kinda slid down the hill. When she came off the bike her heel got caught on the rear turn signal and twisted her leg. Her knee let go in about 7 places. If she hadn't got caught on the signal there wouldn't have been any damage and she would have ridden the rest of the weekend with no mirrors (the only damage on the bike).

So, do practice some stops and turns with the extra weight on there, it does take a bit longer, but it has plenty of power to get you to the crash site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. The Corbin looks great (online). I wish I could find a way to try one out before ordering. As for 2 up riding, I will take a look at the rear shock setting and adjust accordingly; also, will take it easy stopping, turning, etc. as I get used to the extra weight. I'll post pics when I resolve the seat issue (i.e. when I actually replace the stock seat).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a Corbin three weeks ago and did a 1800 mile 7-day ride with mostly mountain roads...The Corbin was a great investment ...6-3 and 250lbs

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the Mustang seat and would be a tad happier with it if the passenger pillion didn't come so far forward. It is a nice substitute for a backrest and the GF is much happier with the comfort the Mustang seat provides. But I liked the leg position with the stock seat better although after a few hundred miles on the Mustang I dont' notice it anymore. I'm 6'-1" and 275, GF is 5'-8" and 145 and we do just fine on the bike, especially since I changed the tires from the stock OEM Dunlop's to Metzeler ME 880's. The Dunlop's seemed real squirrely 2-up, not so with the Metz. I also bumped the preload on the rear shock up one tick from the factory setting and I don't believe we ever have bottomed out the rear shock even though the manual says the bike has a 397# (not sure of exact number) weight limit. The Metzeler's have a higher load rating than the stock Dunlops so I felt that was a real plus. And you'd be surprised, a Kawi 1700 doesn't have a much higher load rating; it may even be the same. I was shocked when the dealer showed me the rating for the 1700. So in this case bigger doesn't mean more.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback, MRSPOCK. I didn't even think about the load on the tires (I was concerned about the suspension). If I knew I'd get used to the Mustang seat, I'd get it, hands down. It's got a better look than the Corbin (IMO), and is substantially less money. I think the first thing I should do before any 2 up riding is look into changing the OEM tires for something like the Metz with a higher load rating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts