Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me towards a source or sources? I prefer new to used but will consider used from a reputable source.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. The tank is no longer available new. The part number is 51001-1549 and was used on years from 1998 to 2000. Here is a link to download a factory repair manual and an OEM parts supplier with diagrams for reference. Also some that are on EBay. What is the issue with your present tank? Might be more advantageous to fix what you have. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and the links. The original bike and tank sat for too many years with gas that turned to varnish, and there is SIGNIFICANT rust on the inside and some on the outside. In addition, I had to pry off the gas cap even though I had the correct key, bending/denting the tank just a bit in the process. After reading about the process(es) for removing rust I was hoping to avoid all of that work just to end up with a damaged though derusted tank, and just replace the dang thing.

The bike sat (in a garage) for at least 9 years without being started and with gas in the tank. I would like to resurrect the bike - it was mine originally - but though I'm reasonably handy I'm no pro wrench turner and lack the motivation to do things the hard way "for the learning experience" :)

I plan to replace all the rubber, hoses, and fluids and to clean/rebuild the carb. Not sure what-all else I'll decide to do once she's running again...

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Wow. Nine years. Sound like you have quite the project. Post us some pictures along the way. We all like seeing a bike come back from the dead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. Nine years. Sound like you have quite the project. Post us some pictures along the way. We all like seeing a bike come back from the dead.
Already downloaded the manual you linked - that was VERY helpful. After looking at those linked tanks and prices maybe I should just "part out" this bike instead of repairing it ;-) Not gonna do that really, but it does make one stop to think...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts