Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another site (vn200.com) an aftermarket replacement belt is mentioned. It's made by S&S Gates, part number 49-3635. It's made of Kevlar, supposed to be much quieter and is DEFINITELY much cheaper than the OEM. Anyone here had any experience with this belt?
Seriously thinking about trying it.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I'm actually in the process right now of putting on a Panther belt..which btw, is a third of the cost of stock.

While I didn't buy it from the below site, they do have a nice little write up about the 3 belts they sell (for this bike).

http://www.hellrisercustoms.com/bikes/36/category/Engine/subcat/Belt/maker/BDL

BTW, replacing this belt has been a pain in the butt. Mainly cause every time I turn around, I gotta go get "something" that I don't have in my tools, or some special washer that can't be reused.. or some special grease. Ugh. Hopefully I can finish this today.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is it a single event happening that warrants replacing the belt or is it just a lot of miles that has worn it to the point of needing replacement? This job doesn't look like something to do just along the lines of preventative maintenance.

·
4,906 Posts
Is it a single event happening that warrants replacing the belt or is it just a lot of miles that has worn it to the point of needing replacement? This job doesn't look like something to do just along the lines of preventative maintenance.
Putting new wheels on the bike, with a new pulley. The stock belt is not REALLY 1.5 inches. It's an 1/8 of an inch wider, making it not fit the new pulley.

Gotta remove the swing arm to change out the belt. Turning into a pain. But will be worth it when done...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Glad to here it's an elective replacement instead of a failure. Do you have pics of the new wheels? Are they by chance going to be chrome?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When down in rural MS, where they've never heard of asphalt, they use hot tar and pea gravel, which ends up being slung between the pulley and the belt. Not long afterwards, you can expect to see a hole in the belt when the small rock is crushed between the pulley and the belt. If you ride on it, it WILL break where the hole is.

In my case, I'm opting to try another belt to see if it's quieter as claimed. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smedlin, how soon do you think your bike will be running? I'd REALLY like to hear back from you, get your firsthand take on how QUIET your new belt is before I buy the S&S Gates belt. Thanks in advance.

·
4,906 Posts
Glad to here it's an elective replacement instead of a failure. Do you have pics of the new wheels? Are they by chance going to be chrome?
I had my stock wheels/pulley chromed about 1.5 years ago. They turned out really nice.

but.. I've always wanted something MORE.

Soo.. this is an "in progress" pic that I took a few days ago. That's the stock belt on it, which was a tad to wide.

·
4,906 Posts
Smedlin, how soon do you think your bike will be running? I'd REALLY like to hear back from you, get your firsthand take on how QUIET your new belt is before I buy the S&S Gates belt. Thanks in advance.
Well.. I kind of lost one of the spacers. Not the 2 axle spacers. There is a "drive pulley" spacer. I have tore my garage apart 2 times now looking for it.

Finally broke down this past Friday and ordered a new one (from dealer). It's not a common part, so could take until this coming Tue before it arrives.

(probably what I get for trying to do all this stuff myself. A very learning experience.. )

·
Registered
35 Posts
S&S gates

I've just replace my OEM belt with this S&S Gates in an effort to reduce some chirping noise from what I thought was coming from the front drive pulley. Did it help? No, but what did help "some" (your mileage may very) was I ordered an extra front pulley washer #92200-0017 and used it as a shim under the front pulley, keeping the belt from riding and slapping on that cheap pressed steel outer pulley ring.

But the S&S Gates belt seems to be a nice part for the money. Runs nice for me.

If anybody has any concerns about shimming the front pulley, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Concerns

I believe any chirping that comes from the belt, comes from the inside of it. If the rear axle is aligned properly according to the marks, then I think the Kawasaki engineers left movement , in the front pulley, on purpose, to allow that front pulley to find its center on its own. That being said, get out the WD-40, scrub the inside of the belt, give bike a good bath to remove WD-40, and that belt won't make a sound for another 5000 miles. I think our rear tires throw stuff off the road onto the inside of the belt and it stays on there because our belts are so wide. Also, I think it was a poor design on their part.
And also when putting on euro gears, I don't think it wise to put a washer on that side to restrict movement of that shaft. I think someone designed it that way on purpose. Again, poor design.

·
4,906 Posts
Now you've got me wondering if an aftermarket belt will be quieter, is it the belt or in your case, the pulleys making it quieter?

I took the panther belt for a test ride yesterday. About 20 miles. Pulled max torque on it 3 or 4 times. Had no issues with it.

But..I had no issues with stock belt either that was not self induced. In my experience (and reading), 99% of all the belt squealing/chirping comes from misaligned belts.

It happened to me a few times. Just make sure both belt tensions are aligned and the belt has the correct tension.

If the belt is to tight, it squeals. To lose its squeals. "Rides" to the right, it squeals. "Rides" to the left it squeals. It has to be just right..

I posted a few pics of the new wheels/pulley in the V2K pic thread...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aftermarket belt

since my belt now has a hole in it (been down this road 3 times before), I am going to change it, regardless. Just wondering if the S&S was a good belt to go with, definitely cheaper than stock. How much was the Panther belt?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was going to replace my belt a couple of years ago, when I found a rock had pushed it's way through but at a shade under $1000.00 from Kawasaki here and around the $ 400 mark in the US. I decided to try a Panther from an engineering supply place and they were not much cheaper. I contacted Gates here in Australia and yes they have a belt to suit but do not sell to the public. I have asked around a few mates here and they all agree that Gates make the best industrial belts in the world and are almost industry standard in the mining game. Have I finally replaced the belt you ask? Well no I haven't as there is no reason to. The belt is checked regularly especially around the hole and absolutely no sign of wear or breaking. I have heard from a few sources that the belt can be almost cut in half and still work well thanks to the Kevlar strands. In that instance Yes I would replace the belt.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts