Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings all, i posted a thread about my bike yesterday. i do suspect the petcock / fuel tap on my gas tank is not feeding gas to the carbs. any suggestions out there about where to get a rebuild kit or maybe is it cheaper to replace the petcock / fuel tap? is the petcock / fuel tap a pain to take off and reinstall on the tank again with or without any leaking or sealing issues? the petcock / fuel tap on my bike is original :smile2:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Since you suspect the petcock isn't feeding gas, check to make sure gas flows freely out of the petcock in the "prime" position (it should), and if so, try using the "prime" position all the time while underway. If no more fuel starvation issues occur, then you'll know there's a problem with the petcock. Either it's not getting enough vacuum or it's defective. Before you rebuild or replace, make sure the vacuum hose is secure and doesn't have any small splits that are hard to see. The tiniest air leak in that hose can cause the petcock to malfunction.

The petcock is easy to remove and replace. I've re-used the rubber gasket twice with no leaks, but I did smear on just a tiny bit of non hardening Permatex gasket sealer.

I bought and installed a rebuild kit but it only lasted a couple months. I found it sometimes allowed gas to freely flow in the "run" position, just as if it was in the "prime" position, so I ended up replacing the petcock. Try a rebuild kit first - you may have better luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello redfish,

thank you for the advice. i went ahead and used a little bit of seafoam and an extra gallon of fresh gas to see if it made any difference. actually the problem seems to have disappeared and the bike runs! just curious if the petcock was maybe dirty with maybe some junk or dirt in it. added the seafoam prior to taking off after a few minutes it started to die then i switched it over to the reserve position and it kept running. the tank was a little low on gas thats why i switched the petcock from run to reserve. i decided to head for a gas station down the road to get a little gas and it seems to okay so far?

·
Registered
814 Posts
That's good!:grin2: Keep that tank full, use that seafoam and enjoy your 500!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a vulcan 500 petcock rebuild kit on amazon and watched a couple of youtube videos on how to rebuild... pretty easy. good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Either it's not getting enough vacuum or it's defective. Before you rebuild or replace, make sure the vacuum hose is secure and doesn't have any small splits that are hard to see. The tiniest air leak in that hose can cause the petcock to malfunction.
I know you said that the problem cleared up, but the vacuum line would be my first guess. Much easier to replace the vacuum line then it is to drain the tank and replace the petcock. I'm sure vacuum line is also a little cheaper. I replaced the vacuum line and fuel line when I bought my bike. I think I paid with a $5 and got change back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts