Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've got a set of Mutazu RS saddlebags on my 900 Custom. They are 4 or 5 years old now and the lids are showing thier age. I've got some faily deep scratches the go right through the gel coat and into the ABS.

My question is has anyone ever done any repairs on ABS fairing, that may have some insight on simple ways to fill these scratches? I don't want to simply sand them out, because the ABS if fairly thin and do not want to weaken them at all.

Looking online it looks as if people are repairing or filling scratches and cracks with an ABS specific cement. Some are using this ABS cement with ABS pipe shavings to make a thinker filling so to speak.

What do you all think? Have any of you tried this or any other method out? Or has this topic been covered on this forum somewhere already?

Let me know all,

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, just to let you know that isn't 'gel coat' that is just paint and any plastic specific body filler or even a high build filler/primer should do the job but make sure the surface and the scratches are properly cleaned and de-greased first.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ah I didn't realise they were that deep! In that case then I would recommend an ABS specific cement or two part epoxy resin. It is possible to plastic weld ABS but it is a real pain to do as the plastic tends to roll away from the filler rod as it is heated and also ABS seems to distort much too easily when heated especially if over heated when trying to weld it (I know because I have tried!) and our new plastic repair and welding kit does not include ABS rods but instead a special epoxy product. So probably best to avoid any kind of heat related repair methods and stick to a specific chemical repair.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just had a look on the web and 3M make a product that is suitable for your repairs p/n08237. Have a look at ebay item 190280088783 though I'm sure there are other products and suppliers out there but gives an idea of what would be suitable. Hope this is of some help.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
You could always reinforce the inside of the bags using fiberglass and an epoxy resin, then you can sand the ABS as much as you like without hurting the structural integrity and utilize a body filler. You would of course have to repaint the bags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts