Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a graduate student and I use my motorcycle may be once or twice a month to go on a ride. Since it just lies around for 95% of the time, one of my friend was suggesting renting it out.

Has anyone tried such a thing? Even otherwise, what's your opinion on renting a motorcycle? Would you ever do that?

Thanks,
Sharad

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't even let anyone ride mine, so renting would be out of the question. If you do be prepared for bad things to happen

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check on the insurance cost before you decide on this.
Your regular insurance I doubt is going to be enough or will cover this.
I agree that you may want to consider bad things for the bike.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It's a proven fact* that allowing someone else to use your bike, even if they pay a nominal fee for the usage, results in drastically reduced service life, cosmetic imperfections, and emotional damage to the bike's soul.

*Okay, maybe not but I still wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
just the legal ramifications would be a headache ....

·
Registered
684 Posts
A couple of years ago I was seeing quite a few very low mileage bikes for sale at very good prices. I thought about buying a couple just to rent them out, so I called my insurance agent to see what it would cost to make that work. WOW!!! Needless to say I didn't buy any extra bikes.....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There are a few websites that let you rent your vehicle out to people traveling but.. I dunno, I can't imagine the legal ramifications. Imagine if someone wrecked your bike, was injured, and decided that the wreck was your fault due to the way you maintained the bike?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Renting

That's dangerously close to being the equivalent of prostituting out your girlfriend. To me, the idea is out of the question.
+1111
I'd rather sell it than even considering renting it, what an horrible thing to do :eek:

·
Registered
432 Posts
sell your bike then rent one the 5% of the time you want to ride

personally there is less than a handful of people I would trust on mine and they are all very experienced riders not to mention close friend or family members, and my insurance has a clause that I will be the only one covered in a mishap I was able to save a few bucks by declaring I'm the only rider

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
i would never rent out my bike nor would i buy a bike that was rented out...... because i know for one if i ever rented a bike i would ride it like i stole it, was in a police chase, and was facing 5 consecutive life sentences....so unless you are willin to have your bike ridden like that i wouldnt rent it out !!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i would never rent out my bike nor would i buy a bike that was rented out...... because i know for one if i ever rented a bike i would ride it like i stole it, was in a police chase, and was facing 5 consecutive life sentences....so unless you are willin to have your bike ridden like that i wouldnt rent it out !!!
+1
While I don't think I would ride like that, ever!:p
If you rent to someone, you can bet they will.
If you can convince a trusted friend or two to rent it for a weekend or two a month; you could offset any costs related to ownership.
But, renting to a stranger, is asking for trouble.

Scott

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would not rent to a friend either, something goes wrong, what a way to end a friendship. I'm not even fussy about the service tech at the shop riding my bike.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I would not rent to a friend either, something goes wrong, what a way to end a friendship. I'm not even fussy about the service tech at the shop riding my bike.
Isn't that the truth. I never loan anything (of significant value) to friends and family. I have always lived by my own rule of loaning money to friends and family. Never "Loan" any more than you are willing to "Give" to them. Because you probably won't ever see it again, and if they pay it back, it is a pleasant surprise and not an utter disappointment when they don't.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I figure the service tech has to ride it. I just don't think about it.
Kind of like not spending too much time considering my wifes OBGYN. :D

It would have to be a trusted friend with plenty of motorcycle exp.
I loved my 900. It was easy to ride and pretty darn cheap.

I know a couple of guys that are financially responsible, experienced riders, and would trust them to take care of my property.
The problem there is; they already have bikes.

I do have to say, my Voyager is a different beast than my 9. I took my time (still am) getting used to her weight distribution. She takes a bit more attention at low speeds; I am not sure I would let anyone who is not bonded ride her.

SWVA,
I agree in principle.
But, I add: don't loan anything with a value over the amount the borrower can easily repay. Without putting themselves into financial hardship.
Similar to not playing card with a fellow who is betting his house payment.

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Never thought I would make a good pimp. So no, no renting. No ones butt in the saddle but mine! In fact, no touching, unless you ask in advance! I'm like Scott-I've seriously considered requiring the service tech to wear a head to toe rubber! :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree; not a good idea. Not only will your insurance most likely look down upon this and not cover your bike in the event of a mishap, but somebody will jump on your bike and ride it hard. Really hard.

I would never, ever let someone I don't know ride my bike. I have and will let friends of mine ride it though. We ride together, they are responsible, we respect each others bikes, and only do it when we are riding together. (They don't come over and take it out; we swap bikes while we are out on a ride).

My advice (FWIW): Don't even think about renting it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts