Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the '13 VV, the book references a special tool to remove the wheel bearings. I know there is someone out there who has a trick up their sleeve on how to do this without the special tool. Doesn't seem to be any room behind them to either drift or pull them out. Anyway, wanted to know in case I get a wild hair and decide to replace mine. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the '13 VV, the book references a special tool to remove the wheel bearings. I know there is someone out there who has a trick up their sleeve on how to do this without the special tool. Doesn't seem to be any room behind them to either drift or pull them out. Anyway, wanted to know in case I get a wild hair and decide to replace mine. Any thoughts?
:frown2: Since there have been no replies, I'll just assume that you do need the special tool to remove them. Thank me.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have 51500 miles on my '10 and the wheel bearings are still good. How many miles do you have on the bike?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't think there are special tools other than a punch or two but I could be wrong. How many miles on your bike. If you have the back wheel off the ground, just grasp the bottom of the tire and wiggle it sideways to check for lateral play. I've got 45,000 on mine and they are fine

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't think there are special tools other than a punch or two but I could be wrong. How many miles on your bike. If you have the back wheel off the ground, just grasp the bottom of the tire and wiggle it sideways to check for lateral play. I've got 45,000 on mine and they are fine
Mine has 23800. I was just wondering though. When I changed tires a few months ago I also, as I always do, checked the bearings. Didn't seem quite right although they were smooth and didn't seem to have any play. I popped the seals off and was quite surprised to find not much grease. So, I packed then with as much wheel bearing grease as I could and put the seals back on. I just completed a 3000 mile trip from Georgia to Nova Scotia. Didn't have any trouble with then at all. Only a tiny leak in my air mattress.:surprise: What a PIA. Anyway was wondering if anyone had replaced the bearings. I don't believe there is any way to get a punch behind them though. I like to have a contingency plan, just in case.:grin2: BTW, I'm a believer in preventative maintenance. Worked aviation maintenance in the service for over 20 years. It grew on me.0:)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Have you priced the special tool? I would spend the extra bucks and get the tool. It might be worth it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You dont need a special tool, but I reckon you also dont need new wheel bearings. When they squeek around corners, and your steering goes to hell on a hard bend, then you look at bearings.
Kawasaki are notorious for not greasing any bearings, but they still work.

But for your peace of mind; the two bearings are seperated by a spacer. With the wheel on the bench, you can lever the spacer off centre with a big screwdriver, then you can hammer the old bearing out by tapping equally, one side to the other, rotating the wheel as you go.. With one out, the spacer comes out, the the other bearing.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You dont need a special tool, but I reckon you also dont need new wheel bearings. When they squeek around corners, and your steering goes to hell on a hard bend, then you look at bearings.
Kawasaki are notorious for not greasing any bearings, but they still work.

But for your peace of mind; the two bearings are seperated by a spacer. With the wheel on the bench, you can lever the spacer off centre with a big screwdriver, then you can hammer the old bearing out by tapping equally, one side to the other, rotating the wheel as you go.. With one out, the spacer comes out, the the other bearing.
All the hammering.... The first thing I have to do is pound a thumb because it will happen. I like to get that out of the way first thing. Then I won't be a surprised.:grin2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
296,000 miles on my original wheel bearings....... can't imagine why anyone would want to replace them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts