Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am going to have my motorcycle painted soon, I was going to do any sort of body work myself though to save some money.

My question was how to pop the logos off the sides of the gas tank. Also, how about the kawasaki logo on the right side cover?

Is there anything anyone can tell me about removing the gas tank? Any do's and don'ts? My last bike was a 1977 KZ650, removing the tank just meant removing the fuel line :p

The bike in question is a 2009 VN900 Custom

·
Registered
382 Posts
lots of guys use a hair dryer to soften up the glue and I guess some twisting of the emblem would get it off. I think wd40 and more hair dryer would help loosen up the gunk.

Never removed the tank on my 900 classic... can't help you there. I guess there is a way to prop it up with a 2x4 to access spark plugs and such better. Never did that either.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I went over this in another thread, I think they were installing a fuel management. But it is relatively easy. There is one screw on the top of the Speedo Bezel, then lift the back of the chrome up and slide it towards the front. You'll see it has two studs that it fits on there. The speedometer is mounted the same way though the screw holds both of them on. There is of course a multiwire connector on the back of the Speedo, pull the rubber boot off and undo the plug. Set the speedo aside. You will loose the clock setting and the trip meter readings. Remove the right side chromy cover under the tank. The ignition coils and connector for the fuel pump are there. I think the connector on the fuel pump is a pull up to unlock, but always get it backwards. If it doesn't come out easy try the other way. With a small tweaker (1/4 inch) screwdriver, pry back on the orange clip that is over the fuel nipple/hose connection. This will pull the fingers off the locking mechanism for the fuel line and then the fuel line can just be pulled off. The pump will keep excess fuel from coming out. NOW on the front of the tank there is a two wire connection that is the fuel height sensors. Un-plug it and take the squeezeclamp off the tank vent hose and push it off.
Finally, there are two bolts under the front of the seat, 12mm I think. Un bolt them, pull up on the back of the tank and somewhere around 15 or more degrees you should be able to lift up on the tank and it will come straight up. it has two rubber knobs sticking out from the frame and two 3/4 cups that fit on the knobs. the cutout of the knobs is what you rotate the tank to get too. That bit is self explaining when you get around to looking at the bottom of the tank once it's off.

Easy Peasy. Don't forget to put locktite on the screw that holds the coil cover on. I didn't, the screw came out and when I was darting across Kansas just after climbing the hills out of Junction City I saw a box or something briefly in my rear view mirror. To this day nobody has brought the box (my coil cover) back to me. I found out what it was a day later when I rolled the bike out to wash it. Somehow had missed it going to work and such the next day.

Got a new one off the web and on in about a week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts