Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought the bike with removed pair system.

It's puprose is:
To further reduce hydrocarbon emissions in order to be sold as a street motorcycle in the US, up until 2009.
Found this info on other forum.

Basically, you first need 2 reed plates that replaces stock reed valves. I think they're cheap like 15 bucks, search for them online. Use little bit of RTV when putting reed plates or you can buy OEM gaskets (#11009-1879)
IF stock reed valves already have gasket then reuse them.
In PAIR kit you should get 2 reed plates, one round cap for the airbox, and vacum cap for carburetor. Procedure is straightforward. Remove hoses, remove reed valves and screw in new reed plates, put cap on airbox hole and lastly put vacuum cap on carburetor.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the bike with removed pair system.

It's puprose is:
To further reduce hydrocarbon emissions in order to be sold as a street motorcycle in the US, up until 2009.
Found this info on other forum.

Basically, you first need 2 reed plates that replaces stock reed valves. I think they're cheap like 15 bucks, search for them online. Use little bit of RTV when putting reed plates or you can buy OEM gaskets (#11009-1879)
IF stock reed valves already have gasket then reuse them.
In PAIR kit you should get 2 reed plates, one round cap for the airbox, and vacum cap for carburetor. Procedure is straightforward. Remove hoses, remove reed valves and screw in new reed plates, put cap on airbox hole and lastly put vacuum cap on carburetor.
Excellent info! Any advantages to pulling this stuff off other than a little extra space and a little less crap in the motor?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
There is a way to disable/remove it with stealth. ?.

The way I did it with Hidalgo was to use a 1/4-20 Allen set screw to plug the transfer hole in the valve cover. Thread the existing hole then use LocTite to secure the setscrew in the hole. I left the reed covers in place but removed the reed plates. Plug the vacuum nipple on the right carb and plug the large hose going to the air box with a 1/2? dia. dowel and you?re done.

·
Registered
151 Posts

The way I did it with Hidalgo was to use a 1/4-20 Allen set screw to plug the transfer hole in the valve cover. Thread the existing hole then use LocTite to secure the setscrew in the hole. I left the reed covers in place but removed the reed plates. Plug the vacuum nipple on the right carb and plug the large hose going to the air box with a 1/2? dia. dowel and you?re done.

Don't know what you exactly mean by stealth, but you can remove PAIR completely. There are also OEM reed plates but they are like $17 a piece.

Here's links for kit and gaskets if someone needs it (gaskets are sold separately from kit)

PAIR Removal Kit - Kawasaki EX500/500r Block-off Plate [010101] - $15.50 : TITLE, SITE_TAGLINE

OEM block-off gaskets (part #11009-1879) [010101G] - $6.00 : TITLE, SITE_TAGLINE

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Are you saying that you removed this hose, and threaded the hole, and inserted a Allen bolt into it?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
No.

There is a cavity under the reed valve plate (under that square cover with the large hole nipple on it) that has a hole in one corner of it. That hole goes directly to the exhaust port of the cylinder head. That is the hole that I plugged. Since the valve cover has to come off during the valve clearance maintenance you can do it then.

I will endeavor to locate the extra valve cover in the shed and snap a couple of pics.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No.

There is a cavity under the reed valve plate (under that square cover with the large hole nipple on it) that has a hole in one corner of it. That hole goes directly to the exhaust port of the cylinder head. That is the hole that I plugged. Since the valve cover has to come off during the valve clearance maintenance you can do it then.

I will endeavor to locate the extra valve cover in the shed and snap a couple of pics.
Ah ok. Did you do anything with that hole on top? I've not taken that piece apart yet so I'm not familiar with the innards. I'll go look at a diagram. But that seems to be a very cost effective way of accomplishing the same thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts