Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks

Just picked up my 09 classic LT from the dealer yesterday. Since i will be riding solo i would like to remove the sissy bar and the mounting brackets. When i remount the saddlebags do i need to put spacers in where the sissy bar mounting bracket use to be ? The thickness of the bracket looks to be about 1/4 of an inch. The dealer told me i would need to get different saddlebag mounting brackets. Anyone have any experience with this ? If i need different mounting brackets could someone post a link directing me to what i need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Ed,

If I were removing my sissy bar, I would just put in some stainless steel spacers. Unless you're carrying bricks in the bags, I think that would be plenty strong. Try just removing the back-rest part of the bar, so each bag is no longer connected through the bar. Then push on bags a bit. If they seem about the same strength, go with the spacers. Methinks the dealer just wants your money.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you remove the bracket and don't put a spacer in you could have clearance issues with the bags. I see no problem with getting 1/4 inch of spacer in place of the mount.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys i will try the spacers since its behind the bags you wont see them anyway. I only plan on carrying clothing in the saddle bags nothing of substantial weight.

Ed

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey ejvette, Im thinking of ordering a sissy bar soon, are you interested in selling yours?? Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick

I am going to keep the sissy bar on the outside chance my wife gets the fever!

Ed

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for writing back, I dont blame you for hanging on to it. I'll order one. Happy Riding. Rick

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rmoving the back rest

I removed my backrest a few weeks ago. I put 4 stainless washers where the original bracket was. If you don't fill that space the saddle bag bracket will sit down on the stud that 1/4 inch. No biggie except the stud will protrude 1/4 inch more in the bag. The saddle bag nuts are a capped nut and will bottom out plus you probably don't want the extra 1/4 inch inside the bag to interfear with loading of the saddle bags. You could cut the stud for a permanent fix but I opted to be able to reinstall the backrest mount at a later date.

Bob

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you go to Ghost brackets like I did, you'll find that you'll need a couple dozen washers to do about the same thing. You remove the bag guards and replace them with spacers but the spacers are way too short. Come to think of it MY kit came with bolts that we're too short and no spacers. I called them up and they sent me new but the spacers weren't the right size. I sent them pictures of the studs they were replacing with a ruler next to it and denoted measurements but I bet they just threw that away and tell everyone to just go to the hardware store and pick up the stainless steal washers(stainless steal, made stainless by the incorporation of CHROMIUM, saw a special on tv last week, didn't know that).

Anyways, was told you can get the spacers at the hardware store too, just haven't looked for them yet. You might be able to get spacers to fit your needs instead of a slug of washers.

Long way around the barn I know but hey, it's lunchtime!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts