Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install some new grips. How do I get the old ones off? Does the chrome end cap screw off? Looks like I cut the grip rubber part? How about the chrome ring by the control housing? The instruction having me taking the control housings off? I'd love some pointers. Thanks,

·
Registered
445 Posts
Drew,

I'm not 100% sure on the Vaquero but on the 800 the stock grip on the Clutch side is glued and the chrome piece on the end is plastic. I pulled mine off with a pair of channel locks. Then like the direction suggested you lift the grip with a flat head screw driver and spray a little WD40. It will loosen and slip off with a few twist. On the throttle side there is no glue. So you will need to loosen the cables by moving the rubber sheath and losening the cable with a wrench I think it was 5mm and unscrewing the starter switch. The cable connection will be the same as bicycle brakes. They wrap around the new housing and the switch holds it in place. Do not use glue on the throttle side. Enjoy your new grips.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Grips are Grips. Left side the chrome cap screws off then use a razor to slit the rubber and remove. They are not reusable. The right side you need to be careful with the screws that hold the control buttons. The screws are delicate and can strip easy if you muscle them. Once they are off, you separate the two halves to release the throttle tube. Look how the cables are oriented and intall the new grip in reverse fashion. Left side I sand paper the handle bar to get any old glue residue off, apply new glue and slide on the new grip. You need to get it right the first time because that adhesive sets in seconds and you will not budge that bitch once its has set. Then go ride and enjoy your new grips. :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
The end cap on the left grip is left hand thread so you have to turn it clockwise. It will more than likely ruin the cap but you're not gonna reuse it anyway. I just used a small screwdriver to get the rubber off, it was simple. If you use the glue supplied with the grips it sets up almost immediately, but you can get glue for grips at most bike dealers which is slower setting (overnight) and may be a little easier to deal with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the ideas. Now just some time to do it. Enjoy the 4th.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thank you for the ideas. Now just some time to do it. Enjoy the 4th.
Seriously I had both grips changed in under half an hr.....the right one being a little more fiddly of course

·
Registered
20 Posts
I managed to get my factory grips off in one piece and they are able to be reused.
The handlebar was bent pretty bad so had to change out.
I used a strap wrench on the end caps to get them off without damaging them. The left side is counter clockwise. If you need to release the glue under a grip you can do the WD 40 trick like the other guy says. And or a coat hanger bent kind of like a Z so that you can just loosen the grip by manipulating the wire by turning like a crank all the way around the grip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm also replacing my grips with kuryakyn iso grips(black). I can't get the screws to loosen on the switch housing, throttle side. The screw heads have started to strip. Any Duggan on how you removed your screws without them stripping?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
One of the best investments I've made is a whole screwdriver set with more screwdriver bits than you'd ever need, including a huge assortment of phillips and flat head bits.

snewsome, I'd suggest getting yourself one of those, and finding a bit that fits better. Every screw is a little different and when it's a soft, easy to strip screw like that; often the best bet is finding a bit that is just perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts