Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wanting to replace my spark plugs with ir ngk do i have to remove my tank and if so does anyone of you guys have pics that you could share on hoy to do the job ,,thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm pretty sure you just have to remove the seat to get to the rear. The front you just have to use the tool that comes with the bike.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Remove the two rear bolts and prop the tank up with a piece of 2x4. You may be able to do it without touching anything that's just what I'm used to doing. For the front plug I found it easier to disconnect the air hose to get the plug wrench in place. It's easy.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's no real big effort to remove the tank if you have to, takes just a little bit longer and you have clear access over the top of everything save for where the spine of the bike is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's no real big effort to remove the tank if you have to, takes just a little bit longer and you have clear access over the top of everything save for where the spine of the bike is.
How do you remove the gas line? Do you need a special tool to disconnect it?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Small screwdriver, The clip really is, hmmm how do I put this, a 3 sided box or a plastic E clip. You go to the middle solid side and push the screwdriver in and the clip pulls out away from the fuel line. When it clears the line will pull off leaving the other side hooked to the fuel pump, the plastic nipple and the orange/red clip hanging out. Putting it back together you slide the fuel line on and press the clip in gently. It'll click and you're good to go. The fuel pump electrical connection always gets me. I think it should be a squeeze and it's a push OR the other way around. Anyways, if you're pushing on it and you can't get it to disconnect try the other way. Done right it just slips off but I always seem to do it backwards. There's one allen bolt on top of the shiney plastic speedo bezel and then you lift up in the rear and slide it forward off of two stubs that hold it on in front. These also hold the Speedo assy itself the same way but you'll need to pull the multipin connector off the bottom of it, there's a big rubber boot that covers that. It comes off easy. On the right side front of the tank is the overflow tube. Simple squeeze clamp and push it off. Then there is a two pin plug that goes to the fuel level sensor. If you've been reading you know this is where you're supposed to shove about 270 ohms of resister to get the guage to read empty when it's empty instead of when there's 2.6 gallons left in the tank.

Once all of these connections are off (bout 5 minutes of work really once you've done it) you pull the two tank mount bolts pull up on the back of the tank till it's about 15-20 degrees up and pull up/back on the tank from the neck and it should come right off. The frame has a round rubber covered knob on each side and the tank has two corresponding cups that slip onto the knobs. You'll understand when you see it, but to find it the first time just lift up on the back while pulling back from the front and when you get to the right angle it will come off the bike easy peasy.

Set the tank down on something like a big piece of cardboard.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Does the tank need to be empty of fuel before you remove it, or does it have an auto shutoff when you pull the hose?

·
Registered
941 Posts
No doesn't have to be empty, but just makes it lighter. So it don't hurt. I was really glad for this thread. Cuz I am going to have to adjust my valves soon and the tank seemed daunting with all the electrics and different hoses. I was used to my VN750. 4 bolts, two hoses with spring clips, and one electric connector.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The pump assy will keep the tank from leaking so it doesn't have to be empty. It IS the weight of the tank plus 5 gallons of gas so full it's 5 times what, 6 pounds a gallon? Probably around 50 pounds full, which for me is no problem but for the wife, BIG problem.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The fuel pump electrical connection always gets me. I think it should be a squeeze and it's a push OR the other way around. Anyways, if you're pushing on it and you can't get it to disconnect try the other way. Done right it just slips off but I always seem to do it backwards. .
I'm stuck here & can't see what is holding the plugs together. Any more directions that might help?

EDIT - never mind. Found that you have to unclip from the metal retaining tab first.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Don't be intimidated by all the 'junk', it's pretty easy. Unplug everything, everything only fits one thing so it's not like it's difficult to 'reassemble', pull the bolts, get it off! You'll get a small dribble of fuel from the fuel that's in the line between the pump and the throttle body, but no fuel with leak from the tank. However, as others have said, being fairly empty is nice simply because maneuvering an awkwardly shaped fuel tank is a lot easier if it's 50+ pounds lighter! If you slip/drop/struggle with it, you could have a nasty scratch or dent in your tank, it's not ripping some part off of a car at the scrap yard!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I did manage to get it all off and on again. As said by others - if you've done it once you can do it again very easily. Hard part is working out how the various clips & joiners come undone. Once the tricks are known it's a piece of cake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts