Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When removing my front wheel the only way I could do it is if I removed the rotor. Is there another way?

I have a 2003 Vulcan 800B. The caliper wouldn't slip pass the rotor as it came up in the rim.

·
Registered
126 Posts
you had to remove the rotor from the wheel before the wheel would come out? I don't know if there's something goofy about the 800 but that doesn't sound right at all. I would expect your caliper to be at or behind the 12:00 position, so that the rotor would move forward with no interference. If it's forward of 12:00 for some reason, you might raise the front a little higher so the wheel/rotor could drop down a little and then forward and out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It does slip past. At worst you have to force it a little but the caliper is softer and will not scratch the rim. First loosen the axle nut, then rotate the rim to it's most forgiving position - even the best ones have some runout. Before you begin caliper removal on any bike that is a tight squeeze first radius both the inner and outer rotor edges with medium grit sandpaper. You are only removing a millionth of an inch but it will make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not even close. Looked to be a 1/4 inch over lap of the rotor from the pads. I should of took some pictures before removing the rotor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Did you try compressing the caliper some, a little makes a big difference. I have an 05 800b, except for color changes, they were all the same after the 1st year or 2, then only sprocket and 1st & 2nd gear ratios changed, those may have only been the 800A's even. Its a tight fit but should come off and go back on with rotor in place.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All back together and I had to do it in reverse of how I removed it.

I'm sure I'm missing something but for the life of me I can't see how it could be done with the rotor on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Found this thread when searching for the exact same issue on an '04 800 Classic (16" wheels). I was helping a friend change his front tire last night and had to bail out because I didn't have a good allen key socket for the rotor. As far as I can tell, there's no way whatsoever for the wheel to come out with the rotor on. The caliper can't lift far enough for the pads to clear the rotor before it's in contact with the wheel. First time I've seen this issue.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Had a chance last night to go back for the front wheel. The rotor does need to be loosened, but not entirely removed. IIRC, it was a 6mm allen key for those seven bolts. Back them out about three turns or so each and that will allow enough movement to get the caliper off the rotor and out of the way to drop the wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts