Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a wax, rubbing compound, or whatever that will remove the bluing that sometimes develops on exhaust pipes? I am thinking that it is burned in and permanent but hoping there is a way to remove it.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I'f it's caused by heat then I don't think you'll have any luck.
What he said. Its it the heat shields or the pipes themselves? The headers under the heat shields will almost always turn blue. If it's the shields, that's a heat problem. Before you set about removing it, find out the cause. Usually means it's running too hot because it's a bit lean.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What he said. Its it the heat shields or the pipes themselves? The headers under the heat shields will almost always turn blue. If it's the shields, that's a heat problem. Before you set about removing it, find out the cause. Usually means it's running too hot because it's a bit lean.
[I[/I]

It is on the heat shields. The PO told me it was due to him starting the bike with the choke every time he started it. His riding buddies told him to stop that as it was not necessary. It is minor but I have ocd on things like that.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
His buddies are full of crap. Water cooled engines are often "cold blooded" and need the choke to start and warm up. Using the "choke" (it is not a choke, but an enricher that adds more fuel to the carb) makes the mix richer, not leaner, and will not cause bluing. It is caused from an engine running too hot for prolonged periods which is usually caused from being too lean.

What do the spark plugs look like? Black, tan or grey? Is the bikle stock, or does it have aftermarket air/pipes/jets or fuel programmer?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His buddies are full of crap. Water cooled engines are often "cold blooded" and need the choke to start and warm up. Using the "choke" (it is not a choke, but an enricher that adds more fuel to the carb) makes the mix richer, not leaner, and will not cause bluing. It is caused from an engine running too hot for prolonged periods which is usually caused from being too lean.

What do the spark plugs look like? Black, tan or grey? Is the bikle stock, or does it have aftermarket air/pipes/jets or fuel programmer?

Thanks. I have had the bike (1500 Nomad FI) for most of the summer and have never touched the choke because of what he said. So your info is good to know. The plugs are perfect but I can't tell you anything about the rest of the stuff. The info is not available to me, I am not in contact with the previous owner and I am not a mechanic to look and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts