Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Vulcaneeer's...I wanted to see if anyone has had any trouble removing the 2 screws located underneath the rear brake pedal cover on a Vulcan 900 Classic/LT model to change from OEM to a custom pedal cover...I'm looking to replace the OEM brake pad and install a custom cover but I stripped one of the screws...my goodness it felt like these screws were put in with a machine...very hard to break free! Would a bit for stripped screws with a cordless drill work...and would a cordless drill even have the power to do the job...i do not have access to an impact wrench...nor an electrical source for anything else...any idea's please...thank you...thank you very much!

One more thing...like Columbo right...anyhow...how can chrome plastic pieces be painted black and the paint stick and not come off...I'm on my second round of trying this...thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
3,015 Posts
Isn’t it amazing how a 10 minute job turns in a multi hour disaster. If there is nothing to grab with a vise grip, have to drill out the bolt and use an extractor. Cordless drill with a good sharp drill bit will be fine. Just make sure to stay in the middle.
As far as the chrome. If they are pieces that are black on different year bikes, you can swap them with other members who want the chrome. Post the parts you want to swap in the Classified section.
If they are chrome pieces on all years, and you wish to have them black. Here is a quote from member CRU. “The sand, prime, and paint method will work with no problems. Just remember, with no protective clear coat, that black will dull faster over time. I've used plain old rattle can spray paint and even plastidip on badges. They looked good for years.”

Painting chrome is a sin according to the Chrome Whore Commandments. 😀😀😀

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ugh, the pedal pad screws. They're underneath where they get wet and rust in place. If you remove the pedal it will be easier, you can utilize Vise Grips if needed. Hopefully you'll not twist the head off.
But if you do you will be able to remove the rubber and then drill out the broken screws. Good luck.
Tourer is correct that here are those who may swap parts with you. I just did that with another here who wanted black trim. Kawasaki made black parts for the gauge nacelle, fender strakes, air box and coil covers, water bottle cover and even the engine crankcase covers on the Custom model and they are directly swappable.
Painting chrome is problematic though can be done with proper surface prep. Either Scotchbrite or other abrasive to add "tooth" to the surface. Or you might someone local that does what's called "Vapor Blasting" who could do it. Basically similar to sand or glass bead blasting but uses soda powder which is less abrasive/destructive and water.

Reactions: Tourer
1 - 3 of 3 Posts