Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a few really nice local 900LT's at fair prices and my test rides have confirmed the 900 is plenty of bike for me after my 1500FI classic. While I know many like those bright studs on seat/bags etc., I prefer the "look" without them. Too much "bling" for me. I want the stock shield, bags, and sissy bar but without studs.

Perhaps this is a weird question, but has anyone removed the silver studs and replaced them with black? As anyone successfully painted the studs black? I have found black studs are available from various shops, but fear pulling out silver and replacing with others may damage the leather.

I could always replace the seat, bags, and sissy bar pad but = more money.

Hence, the question of carefully painting with a good metal paint? My guess is unless each stud is carefully sanded and primed, I'd create a real mess.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hutson

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I have found a few really nice local 900LT's at fair prices and my test rides have confirmed the 900 is plenty of bike for me after my 1500FI classic. While I know many like those bright studs on seat/bags etc., I prefer the "look" without them. Too much "bling" for me. I want the stock shield, bags, and sissy bar but without studs.

Perhaps this is a weird question, but has anyone removed the silver studs and replaced them with black? As anyone successfully painted the studs black? I have found black studs are available from various shops, but fear pulling out silver and replacing with others may damage the leather.

I could always replace the seat, bags, and sissy bar pad but = more money.

Hence, the question of carefully painting with a good metal paint? My guess is unless each stud is carefully sanded and primed, I'd create a real mess.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hutson
Don't know about replacing the studs or how difficult.

I had the same feeling when I bought my '10. Since I bought new I decided to buy the Classic (no LT) and build it into an LT. The price difference was about $1200 so I budgeted that amount and built to my tastes. Maybe you can approach it from a used perspective and buy a plain classic and build it to your liking. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1 to what Bosco said. The 900 LT is priced almost to what it would cost to install the OEM accessories on a non LT. And, frankly, Kawasaki's OEM accessories are very overpriced. (I called my dealer about replacing one saddlebag that had been damaged, and they quoted me over $600 for ONE saddlebag. Another source online had them for $400 a PIECE!) With the money you'll save over the MSRP, you can get yourself the bags and shield you want! Bosco said it was $1,200, ok, in that case, you could pop on a memphis shades fairing, choose from a number of the more inexpensive hard bag options, a sissy bar, and still have some mulah to spare!

That's what I would have done had it not been for the deal I got on my used '06. But, new or newer is a whole different story.

I don't think they could be removed without leaving a hole and I think (my opinion) they would look bad painted black, and be very very difficult to get a good paint job that won't just rub off as you ride.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I don't think they could be removed without leaving a hole and I think (my opinion) they would look bad painted black, and be very very difficult to get a good paint job that won't just rub off as you ride.
Have to agree, painting would be difficult and tedious to accomplish. Better to look for a classic to build or find one built close to your liking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks; just bought a classic

Thanks for the input. I bought a "left over" 2011 Classic SE last evening and am in the process of picking out bags and other options now. I agree the studs issue was "too hard" to mess with.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Believe me, you'll replace the seat. Pick one with no studs.
I never bothered replacing my seat, because I stop every 30 minutes regardless.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Believe me, you'll replace the seat. Pick one with no studs.
I never bothered replacing my seat, because I stop every 30 minutes regardless.
This, or if you don't go on long rides, trade your seat for a non-studdedstock seat. I'd trade straight across for a studded seat since the only thing I'll do with the stock seat is put it back on the bike when I go to sell the bike. I'm sure there are others like me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts