Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about having a custom paint job done the fenders do not seem to be all that difficult to remove....but the gas tank...how difficult is that to remove and take everything off of it ie; gauges fuel pump ect to send it out for paint ? I would prefer to take all the parts off myself but is this something better left to an experienced mechanic ?

Ed

·
Registered
306 Posts
its easy ...
remove the one bolt for the chrome dash trim then slide it off the front ...it sits on 2 posts @ the front of the tank.

then unplug the big plug on the front as well as a little one next to it, also there is a vent tube there to remove.

now remove the chrome cover on the left side of the bike. its held in place with one phillip screw, then pull it off its held in place with 3 push in type posts, a slow study tug and it will pop right off.

then unplug the fuel pump and remove the fuel line, the fuel line has a red sleeve if your place a flat head screw driver in the end and slowly twist it it will unclip from the fuel line then just pull the fuel line off........oh yeah you may want to start the bike after you unplug the fuel pump wiring so it will depressurize the line as it runs out of fuel.

now all that is left is to remove the seat and remove the 2 bolt @ the rear of the tank.

now lift the rear of the tank slightly and slide the tank toward the rear of the bike. the front of the tank has 2 round rubber posts that snap into 2 half round brackets on the frame so just lift at the rear and pull towards the rear, a slight rocking motion side to side makes it a little easier.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Please pay attention to the very first item in the last post. Pull the chrome dash FORWARD, not up. Very easy to break it if you're not careful. I just took my tank off last week to install a GPS unit, but I did it last year too when I replaced my spark plugs. Maybe a 10 minute job.

The only thing I would add is to put a rag under the fuel line as you unplug it. A little fuel will come out and you'll want to keep that off the engine as best you can.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys appreciate the help sounds like I might be able to do this with my mediocre mechanical skills !! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts