Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pipe.jpg

I manipulated a pic with microsoft paint on my pc.
Can I take a hacksaw to it and just tighten modified part in? Can this be done? Pipes are fully debaffled. What do you think it would sound like?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mate, I dunno but I reckon you would be disappointed with the resultant look if you just go hammer and tongs into the pipes with a hacksaw! Plus I think you would have vibration rattles at the join, etc etc. Why don't you look into getting some Cobra Shorties?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Its interesting, as that is "almost" exactly what I was thinking of doing with my OEM pipes.

I think the top pipe is a bit too long...aesthetically speaking.

I was going to remove the pipes and have a buddy cut the top pipe at the proper angle using a floor-mounted metal band saw. I have not done it yet. It would involve a full de-baffle of the top pipe as the cut would be in front of the outermost baffle cap. I would plan to also fully de-baffle the lower pipe at this point as well, to attempt to balance/match the flow characteristics of both pipes as best as possible.

For my eye, the top pipe should be cut around 1/2 (or maybe 2/3) of the way between where it is stock, and where the lower pipe ends. I'm thinking the end of the tip of the top pipe should be about where the backside of the rear rim ends, to leave a bit of a staggered look. If I do this, that will be my starting point.

I will post pictures if I do this.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really love the debaffled sound and the way these pipes look but I've always wondered what it would look and sound like the way that I've shown in my tacky picture. I have no experience with pipes which is why I bring this idea to you guys.

I've not seen any pipes that catch my eye including cobras and of course, I would not want to attempt such a thing if it causes them to rattle or produce a less than cool sounding bike.

Maybe there is someone here that has tried this. It would be a unique look!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This guy cut his stock pipes. This is a nice bike! I found this on the other kawi website.

·
Registered
941 Posts
It looks like somebody forgot to put parts back on. If the rest of the bike was done in that style it might be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Might be jumping in a bit late on this post but thought I would let you know that I chopped my standard pipes a few months ago. I have done a lot of mods to my bike and the pipes just didn't look right, initially I was going to cut on the angle like the standard finish but with limited tools in the garage I decided to cut straight. I am really happy with the outcome and the look. Here are a few pictures, let me know if you want more detail and by the way they sound great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be jumping in a bit late on this post but thought I would let you know that I chopped my standard pipes a few months ago. I have done a lot of mods to my bike and the pipes just didn't look right, initially I was going to cut on the angle like the standard finish but with limited tools in the garage I decided to cut straight. I am really happy with the outcome and the look. Here are a few pictures, let me know if you want more detail and by the way they sound great.
wow! I can see why you staggered them and sure this helps with the sound. Btw!
Would it be too much trouble to ask for a sound bite. Also, what did you use to make the cut and make it smooth?

I'm actually considering keeping the slants and just shortening the longer pipe.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Ya +1 on sound clip and how was it all done, They look great

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've also been wanting to chop the slash cuts off my stock exhaust. U plan on doing the mod over 4th of july weekend. im also going to paint the whole exhaust black while i have them off as well as remove the baffles. as of now i only have 8 holes drilled in each pipe. a sound bite would be nice

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
pipe.jpg

This is what I want to do and don't have the tools. All I have is a hacksaw.

I need some DIY ideas. Click pic to get larger view. I don't understand why kawi did not do this to start with!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pipecut.jpg

Can I simply cut a section here and then slide into fitting and tighten.

Wonder what it will sound like?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts