Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here done that? I'm not talking about a military PCS(did plenty of those), I'm talking about selling the house, picking up everything you own and move somewhere you've never been. It probably won't happen for a couple years, but my wife and I are starting our research. Neither of us are from Ks, we chose to live here and raise our sons, so we don't have much for ties here. My youngest graduates high school this coming spring and is off to the Navy after that. Our oldest will be done with college in a couple years and on to his own life. My wife hates the cold and I would love to ride year round so south of here is what we're looking at. We're growing frustrated with this area, particularly in the job market. While our jobs are pretty secure, neither of us are happy where we're at(we both work for the same company) and the other companies in our area are no better than where we're at. I think the hard part for me is the fact that our house is bought and paid for, no mortgage payments, just insurance, tax, and utilities. I'd hate to give that up, but at the same time we're wanting a change. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Has anyone here done that? I'm not talking about a military PCS(did plenty of those), I'm talking about selling the house, picking up everything you own and move somewhere you've never been. It probably won't happen for a couple years, but my wife and I are starting our research. Neither of us are from Ks, we chose to live here and raise our sons, so we don't have much for ties here. My youngest graduates high school this coming spring and is off to the Navy after that. Our oldest will be done with college in a couple years and on to his own life. My wife hates the cold and I would love to ride year round so south of here is what we're looking at. We're growing frustrated with this area, particularly in the job market. While our jobs are pretty secure, neither of us are happy where we're at(we both work for the same company) and the other companies in our area are no better than where we're at. I think the hard part for me is the fact that our house is bought and paid for, no mortgage payments, just insurance, tax, and utilities. I'd hate to give that up, but at the same time we're wanting a change. Any thoughts?
We did just that. We didn't move far however but it was all new to us. Moved in 2000 from Milwaukee, Wi area to Twin Cities, MN. Kids were little, we were very lucky to sell our home in 2 weeks and moved the day after Xmas in a huge snowstorm. My youngest had real issues with the move but the oldest was ok. First thing I did when I was in the new house, was to locate the grocery store and the liquor store, I was all set after that. :D There was a lot of stress in our move with selling and purchasing the houses and the kids anxieties.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily we won't have to deal with the kids issue, both will be on their own soon, understand why we want to move, and are very supportive. I think housing bothers me the most. From the little research I've done housing prices are absolutely nuts!! Example, I found a place for sale in a beautiful, somewhat remote area of Arkansas. The ad called it a 2 bedroom home, then I got to the pics:eek: it was a 2 bedroom trailerhouse for $30,000 plus lot rent! IMHO, that's absolutely insane for a freakin' trailerhouse!! We spent our time in trailerhouses when we were just starting out, never again.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Luckily we won't have to deal with the kids issue, both will be on their own soon, understand why we want to move, and are very supportive. I think housing bothers me the most. From the little research I've done housing prices are absolutely nuts!! Example, I found a place for sale in a beautiful, somewhat remote area of Arkansas. The ad called it a 2 bedroom home, then I got to the pics:eek: it was a 2 bedroom trailerhouse for $30,000 plus lot rent! IMHO, that's absolutely insane for a freakin' trailerhouse!! We spent our time in trailerhouses when we were just starting out, never again.
Trailerhouse? was dat a doublewide? :D My gramma lived in one and as a little kid, it was cool to go there.

Here is one tool I found to help ou scope out neighborhoods, schools, cost of living there etc. http://www.homefair.com/

·
Registered
151 Posts
my wife and i did that too---michigan to west virginia. packed up the whole crew and moved away. 3 kids under age of 5. its kinda scary moving away from everyone you know and love, but it was an adventure!!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did that with the wife and kids (11 and 13 at the time) 6 years ago. Moved 2,000 miles west for a better job. Loved it.

In a couple years the kids will be at the moving out stage and we are seriously considering a move to a warmer climate. Too much -30 and snow here.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I did Air Force moves, and later my own, married and divorced.

On our own, we moved Dayton Ohio to San Francisco. The company that hired me paid the moving cost. What we did was I went ahead, stayed with a friend, scoped out rentals, rented for 6 month while we decided if/where to buy together.

When I moved SF to Miami, FL, I came alone driving a truck with my stuff and towing my car. I rented an apt long distance (it was just me anyway) and again just signed 6 months so if I didn't like it I wasn't stuck too long.

I think it works out great : renting short term (6 months or month to month) gives you a chance to look around, egt familiar with the area and decide what you like best and works best for you before making a serios longer term commitment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts