Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to rejet my Vulcan 500 because I have shorty mufflers on. As a result I went with a stage 3 jet kit from carbjetkit.com. I have a K&N air filer in my Vulcan. Long story story, I rejetted the carbs, added a very small washer on to each needle of the carbs, and went for a ride. Smooth sailing when all of the sudden my engine starts to spudder. It jeeps doing this and eventually the engine dies and I am stuck on the road. I went to look, and my carb headers were loose so I screwed them in. Didn't fix the problem. Does anyone know what's wrong and how to fix this problem??

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
It sounds like something came loose. Recheck all the fasteners INCLUDING the jets that were replaced. Also check standard fuel delivery components: fuel tank vent, fuel petcock (and vacuum hose to left carb), carb vent hose.

Also, check the battery post adapters. They are notorious for coming loose and causing running problems. See the 'sticky' at the top of this forum.

PS: It is not necessary to rejet the carbs when changing the mufflers on this bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much sir, I checked everything and the posts and petcock were loose, I'll give her a try tomorrow. On another note I did not know I didn't need to rejet (would have saved myself a hassle) is there any point to maybe rejet the carb? I already spent the money and would love to get something out of them.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If you're concerned about jetting you need to 'read' the spark plugs. Generally speaking the Vulcan 500LTD is heavily restricted at the airbox and somewhat in the exhaust header pipes. Since the restrictions are before the mufflers replacing them shouldn't affect the mixture enough to warrant adjustment.

Some might disagree with my assessment of this but I stand on my reputation. :)

I assume that you went with the Dynojet 5128 kit? Which main jets did you install? 102 is stock. Shimming the needle jet like you did will only change the mixture from about 1/4-1/2 throttle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones I installed are 108, I have noticed a slight loss of power with my new mufflers but came to expect that, my spark plug is a light dark dark brown.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hope you don't mind me asking question here.
Inner header pipes on my bike are broken and pipes are cut short about 5 inches. Do I need to rejet my carbs because of this? Intake side is completely stock.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Hope you don't mind me asking question here.
Inner header pipes on my bike are broken and pipes are cut short about 5 inches. Do I need to rejet my carbs because of this? Intake side is completely stock.
Is the crossover pipe still in place? If it is not then this will change the exhaust tuning and *may* require a bit of rejetting of the main jets. A read of the spark plugs will tell you which way to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts