Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen where the regulator can be relocated into the cavity behind the transmission. A couple questions, though.

Where are you guys anchoring it? I'm not seeing anything to bolt it to, other than maybe the battery box. I've got mine hanging in there now, but it's a temporary fix at best.

Also, are you cutting the wires out of the harness to relocate them or splicing in extensions and running them back from the existing spot at the front of the engine? I hope that question makes sense.

BTW, I have the '04 with the single Rectilator© unit, still 2 plugs, just one box.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Ponch had some pics of his relocate, but I don't remember when or where the are posted. Well even if they are still there, could have already been replaced "tenminimum". But if I am not mistake I think he just zip tied them in there. Which his was an 07 with the double.

Dose yours have the Cobra Fatty Bars on them and have the wires in a bind? Don't know if that applies to the 04s or not but I know on my 08 it did and I considered moving it just because of that.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I've seen where the regulator can be relocated into the cavity behind the transmission. A couple questions, though.

Where are you guys anchoring it? I'm not seeing anything to bolt it to, other than maybe the battery box. I've got mine hanging in there now, but it's a temporary fix at best.

Also, are you cutting the wires out of the harness to relocate them or splicing in extensions and running them back from the existing spot at the front of the engine? I hope that question makes sense.

BTW, I have the '04 with the single Rectilator© unit, still 2 plugs, just one box.

Thanks for your help.
I bolted 2x together and zip tied them to the frame in back using 4x hd ties. I used the stock wires un altered and routed it back to that area. any excess wire I would have zip tied up.? 50k smiles no problemos.

Attachments

Reactions: Preacher824

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it in. It took some finagling, but it went. Mine has to sit a little cock-eyed because it's larger and flatter and won't go in straight with the plugs connected. But I got it wedged in and tied down.

It is a Cobra Fatty and it doesn't fit the '04 right. I had to move the regulator back and down to get the Fatty to fit, which is pretty much why this whole debacle happened (I broke the thing with my lift). It didn't have the wires in a bind, but they're not easy to get to, are they?

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
541 Posts
I ran the wires to the left of the engine, underneath the horn, spliced new wire (had to replace burnt out ground wires), then ran above shift linkage (used plastic wire tubing). There is a bolt hole on the inside of the frame that allows for a mounting bracket and some clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I bolted 2x together and zip tied them to the frame in back using 4x hd ties. I used the stock wires un altered and routed it back to that area. any excess wire I would have zip tied up.? 50k smiles no problemos.
PV, I am going to do this, I have ordered a set of Fatty Cobra bars and want to get rectiregs out of the way.
Is it true you do not have to extend the wires and it will be long enough to go all the way back there with stock wiring?
Did you have to cut tape off outside of loom and free up some wire length to move it back there?
Where did you run wires? and what side of bike etc? Do you have plugs on rectiregs pointing up?
Thanks.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
PV, I am going to do this, I have ordered a set of Fatty Cobra bars and want to get rectiregs out of the way.
Is it true you do not have to extend the wires and it will be long enough to go all the way back there with stock wiring?
Did you have to cut tape off outside of loom and free up some wire length to move it back there?
Where did you run wires? and what side of bike etc? Do you have plugs on rectiregs pointing up?
Thanks.
gh,, its been a long many years since I did that fix.. but from best rembrance;
YES stock wires are sufficient. I think the Rect Wires had their own harness on the lower rite side of the bike following the engine back?.. if not and they where woven into the main harness, then Yes I would have opened it and extracted them back b4 closing up the main harness cover.

as for which side I re-routed the existing Rect wires.. well they start in the vicinity of the electric box area and with the New Location they finish just below it.. so they really wouldn't have any.. side to be routed.. just whichever reasonable direct route "from/to" that doesn't impede other functions or put it in harms way.. if you think that it is 3-4 foot of cabling that is now traversing 6-12".. well you figure it out.

I do not cut (shorten) or splice wires ever if not absolutely necessary.. Any excess wiring length would be rolled up, zip tied and Tidied up out of harms way. but the wire harness would remain intact, such that if ever I wanted to restore it to original position, nothing is lost. does that make sense?

Yes the male/female plug connector to the Rects are in the vertical position in my mounting config.. they have a rubber boot that goes over the entire connection and it serves as a Rain/water Tite seal.. any residual moisture either air turbulence and gravity will shed it away from those connections.

obviously if you can config a ridged bolt mounted connection to the frame is ideal. I did not see that opportunity, but the 4 (redundant) zip ties never so much as budged in 50k miles. I check things often for movement or degradation..

·
Registered
445 Posts
I ran the wires to the left of the engine, underneath the horn, spliced new wire (had to replace burnt out ground wires), then ran above shift linkage (used plastic wire tubing). There is a bolt hole on the inside of the frame that allows for a mounting bracket and some clamps.
Great pics and effort in illustrating the mod. Really covered it well.
Bravo !

·
Registered
370 Posts
gh,, its been a long many years since I did that fix.. but from best rembrance;
YES stock wires are sufficient. I think the Rect Wires had their own harness on the lower rite side of the bike following the engine back?.. if not and they where woven into the main harness, then Yes I would have opened it and extracted them back b4 closing up the main harness cover.

as for which side I re-routed the existing Rect wires.. well they start in the vicinity of the electric box area and with the New Location they finish just below it.. so they really wouldn't have any.. side to be routed.. just whichever reasonable direct route "from/to" that doesn't impede other functions or put it in harms way.. if you think that it is 3-4 foot of cabling that is now traversing 6-12".. well you figure it out.

I do not cut (shorten) or splice wires ever if not absolutely necessary.. Any excess wiring length would be rolled up, zip tied and Tidied up out of harms way. but the wire harness would remain intact, such that if ever I wanted to restore it to original position, nothing is lost. does that make sense?

Yes the male/female plug connector to the Rects are in the vertical position in my mounting config.. they have a rubber boot that goes over the entire connection and it serves as a Rain/water Tite seal.. any residual moisture either air turbulence and gravity will shed it away from those connections.

obviously if you can config a ridged bolt mounted connection to the frame is ideal. I did not see that opportunity, but the 4 (redundant) zip ties never so much as budged in 50k miles. I check things often for movement or degradation..
Thanks very much for info PV. I don't like cutting and hacking wires either, had to splice in a new rectireg plug to loom a while back due to that corrosion/water issue, along with a new rectireg.
Ok I will go and see if I can get it relocated and ready for the Cobra fatties.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must confess I wasn't up to liberating the wires from the loom, so I spliced in extensions and ran them to the back.

But I didn't like it;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hate to pull out an old thread but I have a hair brained question.
I too "may" be having regulator problems and will do more diagnosis this weekend.
So here is the hair brained question....there are 2 of these to replace correct?
I see 2 plugs so I would assume so?
That being said anyone have a good resource/price for a replacement?
What I am seeing is one is in the neighborhood of between $75 and $100.
This weekend I will double check charging during idle, what I have been reading is that during idle I should see about 14 volts.
I will then look over the plugs for corrosion and wear.
I see a relocation in this thread but if everything looks good would anyone recommend placing a good coating of dielectric grease in and on the connections?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Because in the stock location there seems a bit of propensity to get water/moisture in the "sealed" connections. The terminals corrode, charging/battery problems begin, and if it goes unchecked the terminals either corrode away or are burnt/damaged by heat due the bad connection from being corroded.

·
BOTM Winner, November 2016
149 Posts
This might help. I ran extra wire, but if you follow how Poncho did his, you wont need extra, just reroute from above.
https://sites.google.com/site/rodsv...ng-the-regulator-rectifier-on-the-v2k-drifter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
I tackled this today and all I can say is, WOW !!!!!!! It took me all day but to quote many movies over the years, " It Is Done ". Like I said, WOW I had to add about 16" of wire after I re-routed the plugs from the regulator to the left side of the frame to add in the wire. The existing wire on my 08 would not reach. Like I said I added in the wire by soldering all the connections and heat shrinking them. I cut and welded the existing bracket to utilize the bolt/nut bracket already back there. Needless to say I am tired and will probably need the Deep Heat in the morning. LOL Pics to come to prove my endeavors. I like how it cleans up the front of the bike. Thanks V2K and Ponch for the write ups.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts