Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've seen threads on this portable tank here in the forum someplace (can't remember where) and I've also seen them at a couple of MC shops...they want somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 each. Not TOO bad, but a lot more expensive than others I've seen. That being said these are the only ones I've seen that will fit nicely inside the saddlebag. Looking at getting a set for myself soon, looking at a trip from Seattle area to Abilene TX and not real sure where the stops for fuel might be...could be needed. And they look like a good idea from that stand-point.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think it looks like a great idea. Even just to have in case you need to hike with it to get gas. But I don't think I want the accompanying gas smell in my saddlebags. I usually have stuff that I wear in one bag and stuff I don't want smelling like gas in the other. I'm sure there's a work around for that. It's just my initial thought.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I have one. I bought mine because you cannot smell the gas. They do not leak. Plus the can just sits in the corner of most bags, hard or soft.
There is just the fact that after you fill the can with 9/10ths of a gallon it is basically
full, but even 9/10ths is better than being out.
$25 at the Harley shop. Excellent piece of mind or for that odd stranded biker.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
As long as you do not drip or spill gas on the outside, there is no smell or odor to contend with. Once filled just do not (obviously) store the nozzle back in the can. (ask me about the hard lesson learned here) :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
As long as you do not drip or spill gas on the outside, there is no smell or odor to contend with. Once filled just do not (obviously) store the nozzle back in the can. (ask me about the hard lesson learned here) :)
Not getting a drip of gasoline anywhere on the outer container is a lot easier said than done however. Not hard for a little to leak down the spout onto the container after pouring or when filling from the gas station nozzle. I always try as much when I fill my containers for lawn duty and the inside of my car reeks of gas :poop: lol

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have always carried at least a gallon of gas with me. I used to live where the gas stations were 180 miles apart.

I had one similar to the one aschamne shows but was not the same brand... that was 20 years ago. The past 5 years I just used a cheap Home Depot 1 gallon. But now that I moved to Texas where there is a gas station every 20 feet I see no need to carry one any more.

Our Saturday rides used to be 3 tanks of gas. Now here in Texas its usually just one as everyone moans about going 30 miles to eat. I am used to going 200 miles to eat... one way... so I do not feel sorry for my "new" Texas riding partners... I let them know that all the time... One of my new friends says he will not go anywhere more than 60 miles from the house. I told him he needs to give his scooter to someone that will ride it as he clearly does not need one... :)

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Has anyone used one of these.
http://www.redagascan.com/portfolio/kawasaki-vulcan-1700-vaquero/
I am considering getting 1 or 2 for when I decide to just ride around aimlessly, when I am taking the well beaten path I usually know where the gas stations are.
Yes, I have one of these, carry it with gas on my cross country trips through the far southwestern deserts and mountains of western Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado, where any gas stations can be nearly 180 - 200 miles apart.

Even weekend day rides here in the Texas Hill Country with my riding buddies, I ride an average of 250 miles a day just to find some great food and cold beer, so I want to have it filled and in my right hand saddlebag for emergency use.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have always carried at least a gallon of gas with me. I used to live where the gas stations were 180 miles apart.

I had one similar to the one aschamne shows but was not the same brand... that was 20 years ago. The past 5 years I just used a cheap Home Depot 1 gallon. But now that I moved to Texas where there is a gas station every 20 feet I see no need to carry one any more.

Our Saturday rides used to be 3 tanks of gas. Now here in Texas its usually just one as everyone moans about going 30 miles to eat. I am used to going 200 miles to eat... one way... so I do not feel sorry for my "new" Texas riding partners... I let them know that all the time... One of my new friends says he will not go anywhere more than 60 miles from the house. I told him he needs to give his scooter to someone that will ride it as he clearly does not need one... :)
The only time I put a maximum distant is when I am in my cage(hence the reason I am only 1.5 miles from my work), when riding I sometimes take the long way(I have left the house 2 hours early and was almost late for work on more than 1 occasion).

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
The only time I put a maximum distant is when I am in my cage(hence the reason I am only 1.5 miles from my work), when riding I sometimes take the long way(I have left the house 2 hours early and was almost late for work on more than 1 occasion).
I average about 800 to 1000 miles a month on my 2011 Vaquero, last Sunday put 280 on it in just that day enjoying the weather and the joy of riding. :D

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Not getting a drip of gasoline anywhere on the outer container is a lot easier said than done however. Not hard for a little to leak down the spout onto the container after pouring or when filling from the gas station nozzle. I always try as much when I fill my containers for lawn duty and the inside of my car reeks of gas :poop: lol
Granted, but I have carried my Reda can in a travel bag on my back seat during the summer in Texas. No odor, no leak, no problem... jus sayn
(since I do not have a luggage rack. The can is designed to sit in a saddle bag, hard or soft. It also has a spring loaded nozzle, no
drip once released and it has a safety lock designed into it as well. First time I used the can I almost thought it was smarter than me.)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Yes, I have one of these, carry it with gas on my cross country trips through the far southwestern deserts and mountains of western Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado, where any gas stations can be nearly 180 - 200 miles apart.

Even weekend day rides here in the Texas Hill Country with my riding buddies, I ride an average of 250 miles a day just to find some great food and cold beer, so I want to have it filled and in my right hand saddlebag for emergency use.

Roadie

2011 Vaquero 1700 aka Black Magic
Cobra Tri-Ovals, Thunder Tornado Air Kit, PCv, RacNRay's Throttle Mod, Commander IIs
Any concerns or issues with heat expansion and it venting itself? I use metal fuel bottles, from my ice climbing stove, and fill them only 3/4 of the way to allow for expansion, AND I have to open them slowly when they get hot from sitting the saddle bags on sunny days. Only 1 qt each, so they are easy to store and pack in spaces available and I can carry 1 or more as I feel is needed.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
:D:D:D:D

Cool!!!
Once I was riding in the snow playing around and ran out of gas. I flipped over to reserve and headed home, then got to playing in the snow again ....
later remembered I was on reserve and really headed home. The bike sputtered and died just as the front tire crossed into the garage.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
:D:D:D:D

Cool!!!
Once I was riding in the snow playing around and ran out of gas. I flipped over to reserve and headed home, then got to playing in the snow again ....
later remembered I was on reserve and really headed home. The bike sputtered and died just as the front tire crossed into the garage.
OH! Close call. We all fall prey to that "Playing" from time to time and it is exactly why I usually carry spare fuel un some quantity. Especially when group riding. Someone seems to always have less fuel than what they needed. I also carry a small length of hose so we can tap other fuel tanks when needed.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Any concerns or issues with heat expansion and it venting itself? I use metal fuel bottles, from my ice climbing stove, and fill them only 3/4 of the way to allow for expansion, AND I have to open them slowly when they get hot from sitting the saddle bags on sunny days. Only 1 qt each, so they are easy to store and pack in spaces available and I can carry 1 or more as I feel is needed.
These fuel cans are made specifically not to vent nor leak, thus their cost, and it works.

:D

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
These fuel cans are made specifically not to vent nor leak, thus their cost, and it works.

:D
+1 to Roadie

None so far and I filled mine almost full the first time because I was watching the pump too long instead of the can. I went for a 2 hour ride each way in the middle of summer during that lovely :p Texas heat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts