Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil last Saturday. Not usually a biggie but I ran accross a couple of disturbing issues this time.

First, when I remove the rectifier to remove the oil filter I usually just let it dangle. This time a couple of tablespoons worth of oil and water ran out of the black jacket surrounding the retifier wires.

I can see a little water getting in the jacket, but where did the oil come from?
I'm thinking it may have followed the three white wires coming from the stator but that does not appear to be the case! The oil did not look or smell like the oil I drained out of the crank case either.

Second, and maybe the most disturbing is the fact that the white wires coming from the stator is not sleeved where they pass behind the pulley plate, and I can see where the wire insulation is rubbing the pulley plate which will eventually lead to shorting the stator to ground. This cannot be a good thing!

Anyone with a burnt out stator found evidence of arcing in this area?
Anyone had crud run out of the rectifier wire jacket?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I recently had my rectifier off and some oil/water came out of the connector too. Just a couple drops. First, this is right where the oil filter sits and some oil may be getting around the oil filter gasket. Also, this whole area was covered in oily road grime. I think this is the worst area to catch crap off the road and if you ride in the rain it just makes all that stuff into a slush. Also, hi-temp summer riding would probably do the same. I think some of the oil just gets blown up into the connector.

As for you rubbing wire issue, I would definitely try to put some liquid electric tape on that to protect it and try to route it so it doesn't rub any more.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Are you the original owner?
Perhaps the first sprayed some stuff in the wiring harness?
I know I did, this is a problem with the nine's when you get caught in the rain....that plug fills with water...after I had a constant oil light on....one of the fellas here directed me to this....and sure enough....the plug emties out a couple of teaspoons of water when I disconnected it!
wATER ALSO GETS UNDERNEATH THE BOOT WHERE THE OIL PRESSURE SWITH IS.....Ya hafta remove the boot, coat with dialectic grease and re-attach.
Very interesting about the unsleeved stator wire.....this might be a problem why the nine's develop stator trouble?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I am the original owner!

No oil leaks on the bike at all. The connector was dry. This crud all ran out of the sleeve surrounding the rectifier wires. The harness forms a kind of "U" shape under the bike. When I lowered the rectifier it allowed it to drain. Just never had it do it before.

Gonna have to pull the pulley to get to the wires. Good excuse to replace it with a Scootworks Pulley!

They recently flushed the fire suppression sprinklers in the building where I work. Nobody bothered telling us to move our bikes. The drain pipe emptied at the Motorcycle parking area so my bike took a high pressure bath. Pretty sure thats how the water got in there. Just don't know what the oily stuff is.

I'll drop the rectifier in a couple of weeks to see if any more crap has accumulated.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
While you're waiting to check for more oil/water take the time to do a voltage check. When I found that brown, oily mix in mine it was too late, my stator was already fried. I can't prove it, but I believe the water in the plug shorted between circuits and caused my stator failure. I'm not the only one on this list that road in heavy rain and blew the stator within a few days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I changed my oil today after a 1600 mile trip to Mt. Rushmore and found that the stator plug was full of oil as well. Not quite as much as your pictures show, but it was definitely there. Not sure where the oil is coming from because there did not appear to be oil anywhere else that I could see, other than the normal road grime. I wonder if this is going to be a problem for me as a couple times now I have lost my trip odometer and clock readout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts