Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recording in the link below has two whining sounds: (1) a lower pitched sound that increases in pitch with acceleration in any gear; and (2) a higher pitched sound that sounds like crickets chirping. The high pitched sound really kicks in at around 30 mph in 3rd gear toward the end of the recording. The higher pitched sound is the one that is really driving me nuts. Is it the belt?

Here is a bit more on the high pitched sound. When I am stopped at a stop sigh, if I increase the throttle and begin letting the clutch out with the break on (or with it off) I hear the high pitched sound. You don't hear it much in this recording when I start out because I let the clutch out all the way expeditiously. Just offering this as information for deciphering what the noise is.

Thanks for any help. Perhaps I am too neurotic about this, but the noise really is bothering me, and at a minimum I'd like to know whether it's a problem. It's the one thing bugging me about this bike. ... I know, get some new pipes or some ear plugs...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-80fPVq7XE9WHlpNjd4STRObGM/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
729 Posts
Could not hear the crickets.

As far as the other sound (whine) sounds like most bikes that I have owned/driven, gearbox whine.
Sorry if I was of no help.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Rider,

You helped! :) Your response suggests I'm probably worrying too much. This is my second motorcycle, first V-Twin, and the first was practically a scooter 30 years ago. The myriad sounds get me scratching my head.

Thanks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You still could be hearing something. But these vn900 are a noisy bunch, heck most v-twins are. Between the gearbox, drive belt, OHC, valve lash.
Enjoy the ride, wind em up, change the oil/maintain them.
Have fun

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
You still could be hearing something. But these vn900 are a noisy bunch, heck most v-twins are. Between the gearbox, drive belt, OHC, valve lash.
Enjoy the ride, wind em up, change the oil/maintain them.
Have fun
+1 on this. They do make quite a few noises you may not be used to. The best thing to do, which I did (so it MUST be the best, right?), was pay attention to all the noises it makes. If any of them get worse, check it out. Otherwise...ride on.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Speaking of noises on this bike. I heard a new one yesterday. it seems that about every minute my bike was making a new sound to me. It sounded almost like a hiccup or like it was building up and releasing from a valve or something. Doesn't do it at idle or higher rpm while sitting, doesn't do it while accelerating just while cruising. Reminds me of an 18 wheelers air brake pressure relief valve but on a much smaller scale. I kept riding and nothing happened so I guess I will ride on until something does happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts