Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering what some recommended upgrades are, one person recommended a 17t front sprocket, was wondering about any other recommendations, someone else also had said about drilling holes in the stock exhaust baffle and was wondering if there was a guide for that floating around?

Was also wondering what your favorite sprocket setup was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
Biker bill I know has modified stock exhaust, I bought a set from him, and really like the sound.

What do you mean upgrades? In general, as in what has been added to the bike?

Battery tender leads to hook up battery tender Junior, a battery tender 12v outlet that plugs into the leads, a Chase Harper tank bag, saddle bags, and an air hawk seat pad. One thing I really need to add is a new windshield.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Just wondering what some recommended upgrades are, one person recommended a 17t front sprocket, was wondering about any other recommendations, someone else also had said about drilling holes in the stock exhaust baffle and was wondering if there was a guide for that floating around?

Was also wondering what your favorite sprocket setup was
Lucros,

Please define 'Upgrades'.
Performance
Fuel Economy
Sound
Comfort
Appearance
Farkle
Other

Each category is a study unto itself. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucros,

Please define 'Upgrades'.
Performance
Fuel Economy
Sound
Comfort
Appearance
Farkle
Other

Each category is a study unto itself. :)

Lol good point, more so performance, sound and comfort, I don’t want it super loud but a bit louder would be nice, I saw emgo Slip-On videos on a 500 but the bike seemed to idle weird?

As for performance, was wondering about like a rejet kit, but also maybe a sprocket change, seems like a 17t front is the recommendation, was wondering if anyone had tried a 18t though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Lol good point, more so performance, sound and comfort, I don’t want it super loud but a bit louder would be nice, I saw emgo Slip-On videos on a 500 but the bike seemed to idle weird?

As for performance, was wondering about like a rejet kit, but also maybe a sprocket change, seems like a 17t front is the recommendation, was wondering if anyone had tried a 18t though

Alrighty then. Let’s give some suggestions.

Regarding exhaust sound: the mufflers that venom831 has had what some call the ‘Piver Punch Procedure‘ done to them. The baffle was punched. Find a rod or pipe that is the same size as the hole in the back of the muffler (about 30” long) and use it to force a hole into the baffle. I used a piece of electrical conduit what was sharpened then used a hammer on it to punch the hole. The baffle is about even with the seam at the front of the muffler.

Regarding sprockets: the more teeth added to the front sprocket the less power you will have ‘off the line’. Therefore the bike won’t seem as peppey. Stick with the stock 16T if you want to keep the zip. Those of us that are using the 17T sprocket are riding mainly on the highway and want to reduce engine speed there.

Regarding rejetting: only if you are modifying the air inlet part of the fuel system will you need to rejet. Rejetting is simply changing the air/fuel ratio going into the engine. The factory has actually a pretty good job of this (aside from the idle mix being too lean to meet EPA requirements but that is easily remedied.). If you remove the air box and use pod air filters then you will indeed need to rejet. From experience I can tell you that the pod filters do give some extra revs but at the expense of bottom end torque. I reinstalled the airbox later and have enjoyed riding much more.

Hope this helps ya.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts