Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few socket sets however they were all crap when I had to install my exhaust.

Two extensions broke while tightening the bolts and they were pretty much too long/wide.

Any recommendations? On what tools you use?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
What's your budget? Are you thinking Snap-On or Harbor Freight?

I like Genius, GearWrench is also good.

What brands were your socket sets?

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
When I buy tools I always the best I can afford. If I have to wait a little I will. This way they don't break. I have spent years on my collection.(Craftsman) When my buddy bought new pipes for his bike he came over cause he know I have all the tools.

Stanley is a good inexpensive brand.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a lot of tools collected over a long time, and a lot of specialty tools but for basic socket sets I like SK for 3/8" and 1/2", and Genius for 1/4". I think the quality is great for the price.

I have this for a 1/4" set
https://www.amazon.com/Genius-Tools-GS-255MS-Metric-55-Piece/dp/B000CRW0YA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1496286679&sr=8-9&keywords=genius+tools+55

I have this for a 3/8" set
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MAOQVC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have this for a 1/2" set
https://www.amazon.com/SK-4147-10-Millimeter-19-Millimeter-Assortments/dp/B0002SR3B4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1496280963&sr=1-1&keywords=sk+4147

This is one of the best things I own: OTC pry bar set.
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-Handled-Pry-Bar-Set/dp/B000F5EDLW

I have a lot of Klein for screwdrivers. Knipex for pliers/snap ring pliers. Bondhus for hex wrenches. I have a mix of short and long and flex ratchets and extensions and such. I have a mix of wrenches to include Gedore and Stahwille. I have some Britool in BSF/Whitworth for the Land Rover. I have some GearWrench for ratcheting wrenches. I have mostly IR for air tools. I have Fluke for multimeters. I have a few different SK torque wrenches. I spent time as a machinist years ago so I have a few boxes of machinist tools as well Starrett, Mitutoys, etc.

I grew up in a shop so I learned the value of decent tools and the nightmare of junk. Like GFISH says, buy the best you can afford if you intend to use them regularly.

I might have a problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a lot of snap-on stuff and Craftsmen stuff.Craftsmen tools are pretty good,not quite the quality they were when they were made in the US but still a good tool,reasonable and easy to warranty.Harbor Freight quality has been going up and easy to warranty,been getting a few of those to carry in the truck and bike because its not to bad to lose one of those tools compared to losing one of my snap-ons

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i have mostly craftsman sets however i purchased some cheap tekton extensions on amazon which broke.

I will say i like the genius tool set however i have not used them before.

The problem i had was that the sockets would not fit well next to the heat shield for the pipes. I ended up putting a rag to protect it and forced it a bit.

I should probably get a decent wrench set as well.

"westcoastkevin" that is impressive !

·
Registered
156 Posts
As stated by all before me, buy the best you can afford. Just like everything else you buy you get what you pay for. I've found that the Stanly Brand is a fairly good tool for the money and that's what i have on the Bike. I have small 3/8 drive set that also has 1/4" in it and a adapter all metric of course. The last thing you want is to be on the road and need one bolt out and a cheapo breaks . I also have a multi bit screwdriver along with 1-4" & 1-12" inch adjustable wrench. When it comes to the Bike I own I look the Bike over find the Largest Bolt & or Nut and screws along with specialty type fasteners. Then I decide what might be the most obvious to fail and try to find wrenches that fit multiple sizes. Keep it simple, you're not going to do a full tare down on the side of the rode but you want to be able to do as much as possible if necessary. Back to the tools I have at home, my boxes are mostly Craftsman for the simple reason that they are a good tool and when and if you break one you walk into a Sears with a Craftsman lay it on the counter with it's replacement and pretty much walk out. Good riding and here's to hoping you never need more than a screwdriver on the Road.

HalBreed

PS> I went and looked and I also have like 3 open end wrenches with different size on each end = 6-wrenchs

(Hope your didn't fall asleep reading such a long Post)

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Also get yourself a set of JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers. Will make your life easier when dealing with the various screws on your bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you are looking for something to help with the exhaust look a getting some crows foot wrenches. As for tools in general it's pretty much been covered. One I will throw out there is Husky tools they are good and decently priced and everything I have purchased come with a lifetime guarantee. Don't be afraid of harbor freight just do your homework? before you buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts