Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, looking for recommendations for chaps for my wife. Preferably somebody who's sizing guide is actually correct. I have purchased her two pairs of riding pants and the sizing has been so far off that we had to return both. She's 5'9 145 and I believe she wears a size 6 jeans. So now I am looking for chap's hoping she can just wear normal Jeans but still have some sort of protection on her legs. If you have other suggestions, I am all ears.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You guys need to ride up to Columbus and go to "Iron Pony". Have you ever been? It's the largest store of it's kind in the country. It's housed in what used to be a K-Mart. Anything related to motorcycles, they have. It's open 7 days per week, and is even an authorized dealer and service center for multiple brands (actually they'll work on anything - they even have a Harley-certified tech). If you want leathers, glow-in-the-dark, shiny, helmets, footwear . . . they'll have it. They also sell online, but you're close enough that it'll be a fun ride. And, the gas will cost you less than shipping at most places!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I'd recommend that you find a local source. You can buy online, but local is the only way you'll make sure it fits.

My local guy sells, and then custom fits the chaps to you. Worth the money because it means they'll fit perfectly.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2015
283 Posts
Check out Fox Creek Leather... https://www.foxcreekleather.com/
They have you provide measurement on you order form when you make your purchase on-line. They are even more than willing to assist you over the phone to get the fit right before you order. And if the item doesn't fit they will easily exchange it. My wife's jacket didn't fit to her liking and they shipped another one that she was happy with before we even returned the first one. They really work with their customers and all their stuff is lifetime guaranteed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you drive up to Iron Pony bring cash, Lots of it! Where else can you go to a motorcycle shop that has shopping carts. In one showroom they have no less than half a dozen new Indian motorcycles that can be bought. When it warms up the parking lot will be full of all kinds of bikes and some are even lined up on the sidewalk to admire. You'd be hard pressed to find more motorcycle leather anywhere.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I have bought my wife a couple pair online, always through Amazon. Usually have a great return/exchange policy. Recently she is using a pair of First Manufacturing thermal chaps. They are heavy weight without the insulation even, and not a bad price. But yes always best to shop locally so they can try them on. We all know and love (not) those adventures. LOL, good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056B28IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have bought my wife a couple pair online, always through Amazon. Usually have a great return/exchange policy. Recently she is using a pair of First Manufacturing thermal chaps. They are heavy weight without the insulation even, and not a bad price. But yes always best to shop locally so they can try them on. We all know and love (not) those adventures. LOL, good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056B28IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
First makes some pretty good stuf.

I highly suggest that you take her someplace so that she can try them on - we're very particular about the way things fit. And, besides - it's less than 2 hours to Columbus, and the weather is gonna be great this weekend. Why NOT ride up? :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I buy a lot of stuff online. I have Amazon Prime so there's free two day shipping and I buy a LOT of stuff online. Almost everything, really, other than groceries. But never ever anything I wear.

It's worth the extra few bucks, IMO, to go somewhere where you can try it on and know it fits. What works in one brand might not work for another. I prefer overpants to chaps myself, and I really like Tourmaster for those. I got those from the dealer, they have a good selection of Tourmaster.

That Iron Pony shop sounds like a cool place to visit. Wonder if there's an interesting way to get there from here (cool route, etc.) Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That Iron Pony shop sounds like a cool place to visit. Wonder if there's an interesting way to get there from here (cool route, etc.) Hmmm...
It's pretty amazing - I'm lucky to live so close to it. It truly is a motorcycle superstore. The staff is friendly and helpful, and lots of ladies on the staff as well (in more than just the clothing department). If you so desired, you could take a riding course, buy a motorcycle, helmet, gloves, gear for any season, boots, eye-wear, a trailer, straps, spare tires, oil, etc, etc, etc - all without leaving the building! LOL!

Oh, and for a more "scenic" route, take 50 across to Cincy, then go up from there! It'll take you a bit longer, but it's fun!

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
First makes some pretty good stuf.

I highly suggest that you take her someplace so that she can try them on - we're very particular about the way things fit. And, besides - it's less than 2 hours to Columbus, and the weather is gonna be great this weekend. Why NOT ride up? :)
How did I know you were gonna chime in on that one? LOL, wink wink!

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
It's pretty amazing - I'm lucky to live so close to it. It truly is a motorcycle superstore. The staff is friendly and helpful, and lots of ladies on the staff as well (in more than just the clothing department). If you so desired, you could take a riding course, buy a motorcycle, helmet, gloves, gear for any season, boots, eye-wear, a trailer, straps, spare tires, oil, etc, etc, etc - all without leaving the building! LOL!

Oh, and for a more "scenic" route, take 50 across to Cincy, then go up from there! It'll take you a bit longer, but it's fun!
I buy plenty of cloths online, and if you read many reviews and have a very good idea what her size is (honestly I mean) It can work out fine. But yes I have also had to do plenty of returns (not always clothes, and usually not). Amazon Prime member myself and it is worth its price in gold. Can't beat free 2 day shipping for 90% of the purchases. I can also usually use an excuse for the return to make the supplier pay for return shipping as well, and I have a ups drop of at my work facility, so I don't have to go out of my way either. I have no guilt about it. I buy so much online thru amazon I should be getting stock in the company by now, LOL.

All just depend on what you are comfortable with, and yes being able to try them on is always the best route if feasible.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

Sounds like the place I bought my bikes from. "Big St. Charles". It's in St. Charles, MO (they aren't very creative). They sell Indian, Harley-Davidson, KTM, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, and Victory. At least, those are the ones they are 'authorized' for and have authorized techs for, etc. (Other brands sometimes pop into the used section. And they are famous for taking ANYTHING on trade. An old horse trailer? Your truck? A John Deere tractor? A lawn mower? If it has value they'll let you trade it in.) It's two buildings that used to be connected with this hallway bridge thing but, believe it or not, Harley-Davidson made them get rid of the 'bridge' and put all the Harley's in one building. They evidently are no longer allowing combined H-D/Metric dealerships. But if you have to walk out of one building and walk into the other next door, it's okay. They have a little over 1,000 bikes in stock most of the time. In addition to four-wheelers, side by sides, PWC's, etc. (They don't sell trailers though!). They do the riding courses.

I wish they had a better selection of riding gear though. You have two choices. Leather stuff with "Harley Davidson" stamped all over it, or brightly-colored sportbike stuff with tribal patterns all over it. Both too obnoxious for me. (Though my Mom rides her BMW with a jacket with a bar and shield and "HDMC" written across the back of it! Ha! She got it there).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
So here I am, being a naysayer. IMO, chaps make a great fashion statement, but they leave a lot of what you want to protect, hanging out there. And trust me, in a get off, that denim will last about 3--6 feet before,the serious road rash starts decorating your/her backside. I prefer full on riding pants if for no other reason than for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
So here I am, being a naysayer. IMO, chaps make a great fashion statement, but they leave a lot of what you want to protect, hanging out there. And trust me, in a get off, that denim will last about 3--6 feet before,the serious road rash starts decorating your/her backside. I prefer full on riding pants if for no other reason than for peace of mind.
Thanks - noted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts