Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the Classic LT. Anyone else with one have a receiver hitch carrier that will handle the weight or do I need to get a trailer?

LJ

·
Registered
782 Posts
You know what opinions are like... but here is mine anyway. Don't put this bike on a motorcycle carrier that plugs into your truck hitch receiver. Most of those things are rated for about 500 lbs. and your bike is shown at 657 lbs curb weight. For that matter, class III hitches are only rated for 500 lbs. tongue weight. A class V hitch could handle the weight, but most trucks aren't rated for that kind of weight either. Also, those carriers are not really wide. I would be scared that the tie down angle would be so steep that one good bump could break over the tie down point and off she goes. It is best if your tie down straps are at about 30-45 degrees to give more stability.

So again, I would suggest using a trailer. I also would suggest making sure it had a channel for at least the front tire to rest in. Just last weekend I saw a bike on its side in the back of a trailer where the front tire had somehow slid to the side even with the straps in place. If it is a wooden floor trailer, you can make a channel easily by just screwing a couple 2x4s in place on either side of the tires.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/950-lb-capacity-foldable-4-ft-x-8-ft-utility-trailer-with-8-inch-wheels-and-tires-42709.html

Here's what I use. When I bought mine I paid $199 for the kit. When it was complete I had spent less that $300. With an 8' bed, my Custom just fits on it. In the write up they say the bed tilts all the way to the ground for loading. Well, it does; if you remove the license plate. Also the pitch is too steep to roll a bike onto it so you really need ramps. That's how I brought mine home from the dealer (raining like crazy) and when my stator blew. And I can pull it with my Kia Soul so I don't need a pickup truck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, after I had posted I looked at my tongue weight and it's 500lbs. I don't want to push it. I'll probably get the HF trailer with 12" wheels to load it up on.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
From what I could see the HF trailer with 12" wheels is the same thing I've got but mine has the 8". That restricts the max speed to 50mph. Hasn't been a problem for me but if you need to tow any real distance those 8" wheels just spin too darn fast!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I borrowed a HF trailer and will never again use one to trailer a bike. The ride was so harsh I lost a few bolts off the bike.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had a motorcycle rack carrier installed on my motorhome. Look at the website: Mightyhauler.com Their model 1000M is designed to hold 1000 lbs.
They recommend a Class IV hitch, but if you have a Class III, they have an optional three point hitch set up available. So far I have no complaints. Give it a look.
Their price is not bad either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts