Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is best oil to use and is synthetic worth the extra cost?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Synthetic is definitely worth the cost, IMO, and I use either Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec, 10-40.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I ride a 2003 1500 classic 10K on it...My guy at the shop said regular oil is fine actually preferred and that synthetic may lead to a clutch slippage...I have no clue I was prepared to spend the extra on synthentic ....as long as you keep it fresh he says it is a waste of $$$$.
That being said, is the oil I get from my dealer Kawasaki oil different than car oil? It costa bunch at the dealer..

·
Registered
30 Posts
car oil and motorcycle oil are completely different blends. And I disagree with the shop owner, syn oil helps the bike run smoother and cooler giving extra life to an already bullet proof motor.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I ride a 2003 1500 classic 10K on it...My guy at the shop said regular oil is fine actually preferred and that synthetic may lead to a clutch slippage...I have no clue I was prepared to spend the extra on synthentic ....as long as you keep it fresh he says it is a waste of $$$$.
That being said, is the oil I get from my dealer Kawasaki oil different than car oil? It costa bunch at the dealer..

Never heard of such a thing in my life. I have run synthetic for years with no issues except more time between changes and the coating of the parts at startup is better than with regular oil.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been using Shell Rotella T6 5-40w with great results. Also it is very cheap at Wally World by the gallon.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oil type

Thanks for then feedback everyone.

How about Kawasaki oil with some Lucas Oil Stabilizer? If so, How much to add? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Thanks for then feedback everyone.

How about Kawasaki oil with some Lucas Oil Stabilizer? If so, How much to add? Thanks

I don't think there's anything magic about factory or dealer oil. The specs in the manual call for SAE 1040, and pretty much any popular motor oil is going to meet or exceed the manufacturer's requirements.

As far as oil stablizer, it should say on the can how much to use per quart of oil.
I run a bit of Seafoam through mine every other oil change just to clean it out a bit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I went with Amsoil for my 1500, You can contact Bob the amsoil dealer here on the forum and he will get you a discount and have it shipped to your door, filter and all.

Hurricain

·
Registered
3 Posts
car oil and motorcycle oil are completely different blends. And I disagree with the shop owner, syn oil helps the bike run smoother and cooler giving extra life to an already bullet proof motor.
These clutches were designed to use non synthetic oil. They can slip and burn with synthetic oil. Synthetic oil only helps in adding miles between changes without causing harm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
🤣🤣 nice quote. My clutch started slipping but 1 case of this is far from factual evidence. There's many reasons this could happen.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Which quote?
Motorcycle (wet clutch) designated oil has an MA rating that indicates no friction modifiers. There are both conventional and synthetic oil with this designation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
98 1500 classic here. Just got it last year. Thanks for all the info! Getting hard to find conventional oil on the shelves here in Wisconsin for bikes. Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle synthetic oil it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts