Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a mention or two around the inter-web of guys just punching out baffles with a piece of rebar. Is there anyone that can explain how this works out ?
...leaving pieces inside?
...does it actually work
...satisfactory sound

I would like folks to hear me coming.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're wanting a deeper louder sound then do this first. looking at the end of your muffler you have a cover that is held on by some rivets. drill out the rivets and remove the cover. once you've done that you will be able to look up inside the muffler. inside you'll see another plate. (using a 3/8" drill) drill 6 holes around in a circle on this plate. the drill will have to be extra long to reach inside the muffler. once you've done this to both mufflers start up your bike and you'll be amazed at the difference this makes. it's louder and a more distinctive but not so loud that your going to piss off the neighbors. I did this as a first step ( stage 1 debaffle) stage 2 would be to hammer the rebar down the middle of your muffler until you break through the baffle. Stage 3 is removing the baffle completely. I have made it to the stage 3 and love the sound. my opinion is to do it in these steps because once you do it you can't go back unless you replace the exhaust.

Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just did this last night.
i drilled 4 holes in each pipe, as large as would fit.
I noticed there is even a decent difference in sound from the original 4 smaller holes I had drilled vs. after I made them larger. (larger holes = deeper tone)
i am sticking with the 4 large holes for now, its a decent bit louder, a bit deeper, has a bit of a mean gurgle to it.

I say start out with 4 holes as large as you can fit around the baffle plate, see if you like that, if you want more, then drill 4 more smaller holes, want more? make the 4 smaller ones large also.
Want even more? Then you can either do as vulcantom said, and use rebar to punch out the center of the center tube, or some have even completely cut out the baffle plate, and took it and the center tube out. This I imagine would be quite loud.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jtice to reply to your post, yes it's quite a bit loader but only when you get on the throttle. If you drive it normal it's not that bad. I've also noticed you get a little crackling when you let off the throttle. it doesn't sound like a Harley but I didn't want it to anyways. it does have a nice rumble.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Center Tube

I would think twice before punching out the center tube. When I did this, there was an irritating whistle sound on decel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got back from my second ride with four large holes in each exhaust.
Really liking the sound. It's not all that deep, but that's kinda good, deep can be too boomy in your helmet at times.

The crackle and gurgle it has on decel is really growing on me, has a mean sound without sounding like a Harley that's for sure.

I would not call this loud really either, yes, your neighbors will certainly heard you coming if you get on it. But it's not annoying loud by any bikers standards.

I notice no change in how the bike performers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
let us all know how you like it once you're done!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've done stage 1 and 2 and I'm very satisfied with the results. I'm a little wary of doing stage 3 as I've heard stories of people having issues after that one. Eventually I may pull the trigger though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I did the stage 3 I was a little nervous also but I did it around a year ago and haven't had any issues whatsoever. since then I've removed the secondary throttle plates and also haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I drilled (4) 3/8 holes in each baffle. I like what I hear and will ride it like this before deciding on anything else. It is a more satisfying sound with a definite volume increase. The operation took about 15 minutes.
:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Go for it. But I have to warn you - once you start you won't quit. Eventually you'll rip everything out including the baffles, and then you'll go get some aftermarket pipes... :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Time will tell. BTW...I love the sound of a Harley.
I love the sound of a Harley but I also love the sound of my 900 and remember your 900 will never sound like a Harley. if you want that sound you bought the wrong bike:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love the sound of a Harley but I also love the sound of my 900 and remember your 900 will never sound like a Harley. if you want that sound you bought the wrong bike:D
Yup--of course. Eyes wide open and paying attention. I am really enjoying the Vulcan. Both can happen at the same time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I pulled the trigger about 3 weeks ago. I started with drilling a 3/4 inch hole in the baffle screen and noticed a deeper sound. Then went on and drilled a 7/8 inch hole, it sounded deeper but not louder. I then got a 1 inch hole saw and took out the entire plug...BEWARE!!! With the whole plug taken out, the exhaust whistles when u romp on it and during deceleration. It drove me nuts. Then did the "stage 2" and it sounded real good, but still had the whistle. So i completely debaffled the exhaust and now im happy as ever... No whistle, looks good and sounds great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have heard of folks re-riveting it on...But personally i never did like the capped off look on the exhaust tips. Instead of seeing the caps, you see exhaust pipes. Spray some rustoleum flat black engine enamel in there and it blends right in

·
Registered
56 Posts
Those that drilled holes in their exhausts do you experience more decel popping? The popping might not increase but maybe it becomes more noticeable?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts