Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 VN1600. Removing the wheel for the first time to take in and have new tire mounted/balanced. The service manual indicates the rear fender must be removed in order to remove the rear wheel, but I know sometimes that's jsut to allow adequate room to maneuver. Anyone have experience removign the rear wheel while leaving the fender in place?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just changed my rear tire and I did remove the rear fender - 06 1600 Nomad. I really didn't have to in order to take it off but all I had was a motocycle jack that would lift about 18". If you have a way to lift the bike high enough and keep it stable, you technically don't need to remove the fender.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling Rear Wheel Off

Thanks for the info. I have it on a lift, and it is very stable and strapped in. I've removed the bag frame, dropped the muffler and removed and hung the caliper. I've also loosened the caliper plate and removed the axel nut. Is there a trick to removing the axel? It doesn't feel like it wants to release, even as I remove weight from the wheel....any advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you right after your question. My PC had a meltdown & I had to take it to the shop. Hope you got evrything apart and back together again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got 'er done

No probs. I'm reassembled as of today and ready to clean her up and get on the road. My lift was able to get it high enough so that I didn't have to remove the fender. I strapped the bike in once I raised it high enough, and the rest was a piece of cake. The only thing I had to give some extra attention to was the placement of the 2x4's on the lift so that the bottom of the engine wasn't sitting directly on the lift.

Now its change the oil/filter, top-off fluids and hit the road.

Thanks for your help/info.

Semper Fi and happy trails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts