Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to install the belt on my 08 900 Custom. FYI, it is not necessary to remove the top bolt on the shock and remove it (just the bottom so that it can be swung out of the way. Also, no need to remove the exhaust pipes. Thankfully, I was able to just remove the swingarm, lower shock, and tie rod bolts, jiggle everything a bit, and slip the belt in and over the front pulley.

I was hoping that I could tap the incredible knowledge on the forum to answer a few questions, now that everything is back together and it SEEMS to be OK.

I have attached pics of the rear wheel/pulley. The bushing between the swingarm and the pulley seems to be resting on a narrow edge of an inner sleeve/bushing, which is surrounded by a rubber washer. Everything went together easily, but I am concerned that the bushing visible in the image is resting on a small area. I found no leftover washers or other parts that might fit there. Is it OK?

Also, I included the second image to check to see if the belt isn't too narrow for the pulley. I would hate for either of these 2 possible issues to cause a catastrophic failure of the belt or pulley (or me, LOL). Please lt me know if this looks correct. BTW, ignore the grease; I haven't cleaned things up yet.

As always, thanks in advance for the shared wisdom.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I finally got to install the belt on my 08 900 Custom. FYI, it is not necessary to remove the top bolt on the shock and remove it (just the bottom so that it can be swung out of the way. Also, no need to remove the exhaust pipes. Thankfully, I was able to just remove the swingarm, lower shock, and tie rod bolts, jiggle everything a bit, and slip the belt in and over the front pulley.

I was hoping that I could tap the incredible knowledge on the forum to answer a few questions, now that everything is back together and it SEEMS to be OK.

I have attached pics of the rear wheel/pulley. The bushing between the swingarm and the pulley seems to be resting on a narrow edge of an inner sleeve/bushing, which is surrounded by a rubber washer. Everything went together easily, but I am concerned that the bushing visible in the image is resting on a small area. I found no leftover washers or other parts that might fit there. Is it OK?

Also, I included the second image to check to see if the belt isn't too narrow for the pulley. I would hate for either of these 2 possible issues to cause a catastrophic failure of the belt or pulley (or me, LOL). Please lt me know if this looks correct. BTW, ignore the grease; I haven't cleaned things up yet.

As always, thanks in advance for the shared wisdom.
Your installation is correct. The spacer lines up with the inner race of the pulley coupling bearing which lines up with other spacers and wheel bearing races. At the end of the day the spacers and inner races of the wheel bearings are like one solid pipe held together by the axle & axle nut. Your belt is the correct size with about a 1/4" space on one side. The belts usually travel to the outside of the pulley as yours does. If you've tightened everything correctly you should be good to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts