Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any of you fine folks taken your rear wheel off? If so were you able to remove the sprocket side hub from the wheel? I am taking the wheels off the bike, wanted to inspect the hub and dampners. Following the Kawi service manual "loosen the sprocket to hub nuts slightly"? have tried every thing from loose to 95% of torque. the hub will move a bit, but no removal. Do not want to be prying on it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but out of curiosity, what problem are you having with the dampener?

·
Registered
347 Posts
With the rear wheel completely off the bike, with the pulley facing straight up, hold the wheel down and using both hands, pull on the pulley straight up. The pulley along with the mounting hub will come off. Inside the wheel you will see the cush drive rubber dampers. Pay attention to how this came off. Using a Sharpie Marker, place a small mark on the hub in you hand and the wheel on the floor (match marks) so you can get it back together the same way. If you are trying to take the pulley off the hub, it may be corroded in place. Remove the pulley mounting nuts and washers completely . Lightly tap all the way around the pulley "in the off direction" till the pulley comes off the hub. Don't get brutal with it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Rickza" no problem with the dampners, just figured with the wheel already off, take a look see.

"Du-Rron" thanks for the info. The pulley comes off no issues. Yes I already have some index marks on the wheel - hub and the belt - pulley along with the pulley to wheel. Going to give it a try right now.

This all started with the local shops backed up, to get a set of new tires put on. They are all 3-5 weeks out, with the wheels on the bike, 2-3 days if they are off. Using this time to inspect and correct any issue(s). I prefer to do all my own wrenching.

I don't have an answer for you, but out of curiosity, what problem are you having with the dampener?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: after following "Du-Rron's) advice I got the hub to separate from the rear wheel. Just took a little extra effort. Also when re-assembling, had to tap them together the last inch. Used a rubber mallet to get the assembly to fit between the swing arms. Oh and the dampners were all good (y)

Reactions: Du-Rron
1 - 5 of 5 Posts