Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my gf has a stock 2006 Vulcan Classic 900 with roughly 9,800 km's on it.
I took it down the road on Saturday to warm it up and give it a service. On the road I noitced a click that sounded like a rock stuck in the tire tread. I got it home, pulled into the shop and did the service. While it was up on the (2x8's) jack I spun the rear wheel to see if there was a rock but didn't find one, instead, I found when the wheel hit a certain spot in the rotation it has a pronounced "click". It only does it during forward rotation and not backwards and always at the same spot of the wheel.
I've pulled the wheel 'cause it needs a tire anyway but the bearings feel good.
I took a little video with my phone and you can definatley hear the "click". (Hopefully the video works after photobucket changed it's way of doing things)
AND, it's louder on the left drive pulley side vs the right rotor side.
Any thoughts ???
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I couldn't view the video, but your belt looks very close to the outside of the pulley. It could be catching part of the pulley making the clicking sound as it rotates. Make sure you have an 1/8th of an inch clearance when you reinstall the wheel.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Am I crazy or did the belt 'slide' back to the left side (of the video) each time it clicked? Could your belt be misaligned and, somehow, causing this noise?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
So my gf has a stock 2006 Vulcan Classic 900 with roughly 9,800 km's on it.
I took it down the road on Saturday to warm it up and give it a service. On the road I noitced a click that sounded like a rock stuck in the tire tread. I got it home, pulled into the shop and did the service. While it was up on the (2x8's) jack I spun the rear wheel to see if there was a rock but didn't find one, instead, I found when the wheel hit a certain spot in the rotation it has a pronounced "click". It only does it during forward rotation and not backwards and always at the same spot of the wheel.
I've pulled the wheel 'cause it needs a tire anyway but the bearings feel good.
I took a little video with my phone and you can definatley hear the "click". (Hopefully the video works after photobucket changed it's way of doing things)
AND, it's louder on the left drive pulley side vs the right rotor side.
Any thoughts ???
Thanks in advance.

Examine the pulley for damage. Loosen the belt and rotate the wheel to see if the click is still there. Examine the brake rotor for damage. Move the caliper away from the rotor and spin the wheel. You will eventually narrow it down.
One final thought, if you went cheap and put a ball bearing in the tire instead of DynaBeads then there's your problem.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It clicks when tire is at same point during rotation right?

This is a 2006 Vulcan Classic 900 so wonder if it could be a spoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Checked all the spokes and they all seems fine.
I DID find this little piece of plastic (almost like bakelite) wedged against the outer part of the drive sprocket tho. Maybe it was making the belt shift? I'm leaning towards this piece was wanting to drop out evey revolution and the belt was "clicking" it back into the sprocket thus causing the noise.

I'll get a new tire on the wheel in the next week or so and advise from there.
Thanks again,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts