Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few posts about the impossibility of getting red turn signal lenses reasonably priced. I just bought a brand new Nomad 1700 and would like to put a run stop turn module on it, but I need red turn signal lenses. I wouldn't mind changing the entire housing if it would give me this possibility, but I'm not sure what I would need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Todd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Todd, I wanted to convert my '12 Nomad's rear turn signals with an Electrical Connection turn signal conversion kit. This conversion has led rings that fit around the signal bulbs and thus give brake and running red lights without having to change the outer turn signal's orange lens. I have done this conversion on three other bikes over the last fifteen years with great results. Unfortunately with my Nomad as you will find the rear turn signal lenses are glued to their bases you change the turn signal bulbs by unscrewing the screw on the back side of the turn signal body and turn the bulb that releases the bulb from the turn signal housing. Long story short unless you are skilled or lucky separating the rear lense from the turn signal body is a non- starter.
What I am going to do is use a LED reflector to replace the DOT reflector between the rear signals and license plate and use 4 LED license plate bolts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Todd, I wanted to convert my '12 Nomad's rear turn signals with an Electrical Connection turn signal conversion kit. This conversion has led rings that fit around the signal bulbs and thus give brake and running red lights without having to change the outer turn signal's orange lens. I have done this conversion on three other bikes over the last fifteen years with great results. Unfortunately with my Nomad as you will find the rear turn signal lenses are glued to their bases you change the turn signal bulbs by unscrewing the screw on the back side of the turn signal body and turn the bulb that releases the bulb from the turn signal housing. Long story short unless you are skilled or lucky separating the rear lense from the turn signal body is a non- starter.
What I am going to do is use a LED reflector to replace the DOT reflector between the rear signals and license plate and use 4 LED license plate bolts.
Hey, Mark! I have seen some posts where guys have used a heat gun to get the lenses off. I'm not sure I want to go that far, even though I have no doubt that I could do it. I'm not knocking these great bikes a bit, but Kawasaki would be so much better if they would manufacture their bikes with the ability to be customized (much like a Harley Davidson). But, unfortunately, that's not what we have. Lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wanted to do the same to my Nomad. I ended up just buying red replacement bulbs from Kuryakyn (they tend to last longer and not scratch or peel like cheaper red bulbs). At night especially they look as if the lenses were red.

FYI: I got the Triple Play from Kuryakyn as well. It works good but recently had to go back and solder all of the connections due to the connectors shaking loose (which happens eventually) and causing my tail-light to cut in and out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanted to do the same to my Nomad. I ended up just buying red replacement bulbs from Kuryakyn (they tend to last longer and not scratch or peel like cheaper red bulbs). At night especially they look as if the lenses were red.

FYI: I got the Triple Play from Kuryakyn as well. It works good but recently had to go back and solder all of the connections due to the connectors shaking loose (which happens eventually) and causing my tail-light to cut in and out.
Interesting, that sounds like a good idea, I may try that

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive seperated many tail lights and head lights before, never on a bike but the concept is the same. I just pop them in the oven for a bit and it heats the glue and they seperate very easy then you can even pop them back in glue heats up again and they are sealed back up. Just a tip if you end up trying to seperate them. Heat gun would work as well but the oven makes it very easy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
There's only one aftermarket manufacturer of clear (or smoked) lenses for the 1700's. Lights4all in Germany. I've bought two sets from them for my Voyager, but had to also swap out the larger Voyager turn signal holders for the slightly smaller Vaq ones. I think the Nomad turn signals are the same size as the Vaq, but you should check that.

If you bought a set of those, you could use red bulbs. You'd also need to put 3 wires into the rear so you could run 1157's.

Quite a nice little project?

I've run a few sets of switchback LED bulbs in my clear front turn signals, but I'm going back to incandescent orange bulbs I think... I like the effect of the switchbacks, but I've not found anything that lasts more than a few months yet, the reliability isn't quite there yet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've been running Superbright LED switchbacks for years in my bikes. Expensive but great products!

There's only one aftermarket manufacturer of clear (or smoked) lenses for the 1700's. Lights4all in Germany. I've bought two sets from them for my Voyager, but had to also swap out the larger Voyager turn signal holders for the slightly smaller Vaq ones. I think the Nomad turn signals are the same size as the Vaq, but you should check that.

If you bought a set of those, you could use red bulbs. You'd also need to put 3 wires into the rear so you could run 1157's.

Quite a nice little project?

I've run a few sets of switchback LED bulbs in my clear front turn signals, but I'm going back to incandescent orange bulbs I think... I like the effect of the switchbacks, but I've not found anything that lasts more than a few months yet, the reliability isn't quite there yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been running Superbright LED switchbacks for years in my bikes. Expensive but great products!
One question I have is how do you deal with the lens replacement? Or does the switchback not require any lens?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts