Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't the rear turn signals on my V2K have dual element bulbs? The front signals do so why would Kawasaki Inc. not put them on the rear also? This would seem to make sense to me and it would also make the bike more visible from the rear.

Anyone know of a mod to make this happen? Or is it too much trouble to tackle?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
cp, its the law. the rear turn signals are amber colored and are not allowed to be illuminated at all times. its a directional thing. If you change your lenses to RED then you are allowed to have them illuminated. Harley sells kits to do this. it is specific to their bikes and are not trasportable.

I swapped out the tail lamp to LED w/intergal run/brake/turn function. Then I put the xmas tree lights back on when I bagged the bear. just more 'lumination from behind to wake up the texters, etc.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cp, its the law. the rear turn signals are amber colored and are not allowed to be illuminated at all times. its a directional thing. If you change your lenses to RED then you are allowed to have them illuminated. Harley sells kits to do this. it is specific to their bikes and are not trasportable.

I swapped out the tail lamp to LED w/intergal run/brake/turn function. Then I put the xmas tree lights back on when I bagged the bear. just more 'lumination from behind to wake up the texters, etc.
Well heck, I knew that but sorta forgot it. Unless I am mistaken there are/is only wiring for single element bulbs on the rear turn siggy's. How did you accomplish getting run/brake/turn to work with existing wiring?

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well heck, I knew that but sorta forgot it. Unless I am mistaken there are/is only wiring for single element bulbs on the rear turn siggy's. How did you accomplish getting run/brake/turn to work with existing wiring?
They make a module called (Tri-Star XP) that will turn your blinkers into brake and running lights with only the single element.
What I did on my 1500 was get a used set of front blinkers off Ebay and got the bulb sockets out of them and put them in my rear blinkers, installed red lens and installed a (Tri-Star) module.

The Tri-Star is a little different than the XP, the plan Tri-Star converts the rear turn signal lights to function as brake and turn signal lights.
http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=33&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

Where as the Tri-Star XP module converts the rear turn signal lights to function as brake and turn signal lights and Running Lights.
http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=41&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

I my self did not like the idea that the XP was just dimming the light to make a running light so that is why I went with putting the double element bulbs in, but it is a little harder to do but for me it was well worth the effort.
You can see the back of the bike a lot better at night and day to make things a little safer. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hurricain-
Yesterday I got front turn signals, pulled the wires out and rewired my back turns. I wired it so I am pulling off the tail lights. I ended up with constant on and turn signals working. I put on clear lens & red 1157 bulbs.

Problem - I now have crazy fast turn signals.

Looks like I need a module. Is your still holding up?

Did you wire into the tail light first, then add the module?

Or do all the wiring at once?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hurricain-
Yesterday I got front turn signals, pulled the wires out and rewired my back turns. I wired it so I am pulling off the tail lights. I ended up with constant on and turn signals working. I put on clear lens & red 1157 bulbs.

Problem - I now have crazy fast turn signals.

Looks like I need a module. Is your still holding up?

Did you wire into the tail light first, then add the module?

Or do all the wiring at once?

Thanks much.
Yes it is working fine! and I did it all at one time.

I wired the Tri-Star in under the seat to the brake and turn signal wires first then to the tail and blinkers.

Then I wired the blinker running lights to the tail light wire under the seat.

Yes i did install the Dual-Load Equalizer that comes with the Tri-Star so the blinkers would not blink so fast.

You do have to make sure you wire the dim element of the blinkers to the running lights and the brighter one to the Tri-Star for the brake light and blinkers.

Hope this answers your question

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes it is working fine! and I did it all at one time.

I wired the Tri-Star in under the seat to the brake and turn signal wires first then to the tail and blinkers.

Then I wired the blinker running lights to the tail light wire under the seat.

Yes i did install the Dual-Load Equalizer that comes with the Tri-Star so the blinkers would not blink so fast.

You do have to make sure you wire the dim element of the blinkers to the running lights and the brighter one to the Tri-Star for the brake light and blinkers.

Hope this answers your question
Yes it does.
My local shop does not stock the module so I will get on line.
And your module still allows the turn signal cancellation feature to work I imagine.

Thanks greatly .
I will update you when I get it completed

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes it does.
My local shop does not stock the module so I will get on line.
And your module still allows the turn signal cancellation feature to work I imagine.

Thanks greatly .
I will update you when I get it completed
Yes the Cancellation works fine.
The only problem i see here with your post is that you said the blinkers blink fast with out the module.

They should blink normal, you have not done anything to the blinker circuit, all you did is add a completely different circuit to the blinkers for running lights and that should not effect anything.

I am just wondering if maybe you have something wired up wrong or have a bad ground some where.

Check it out and get back to me ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Kuryakyn run/turn/brake controller I installed on my last ride controlled all the led's I put on all corners, as well as flashed the brake lights thrice before going on solid. I used clear lenses on the corners, as well as amber led's up front, and red led's in back. I also changed out my brake light to a led panel, and covered with a clear lense. It all looked so clean. I don't know, though, how much of this is available for our V2K's, seeins how this was all on my VTX1300. Hope I can find the same equipment, cause it was a cool look, and VERY functional....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hurricain -
Three 10 Amp fuses and two new light sockets later I finally outsmarted my 12 volt system.

Both modules are wired and it works great !!!

Rear of the bike looks totally different - especially at night.

Thanks for your support.

I will try & get a picture up soon.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hurricain -
Three 10 Amp fuses and two new light sockets later I finally outsmarted my 12 volt system.

Both modules are wired and it works great !!!

Rear of the bike looks totally different - especially at night.

Thanks for your support.

I will try & get a picture up soon.
Glad to hear you got her going, Now people will be able to see you a little bit better :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
LED on Back rest

Sweet :) are those lights on the back rest? :eek:
8 LED lights came with the bike when I bought it.
I removed them all as 6 of them run off a remote control fob.

I did put one strand on the top of the back rest (tie wrapped) as you can see in the above picture.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts