Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried to route additional wires through the stock turn signals? I purchased the custom dynamics lights for the rear of my bike and they have a feature to light up red when you hit the brakes. I need to get two wires through the stock signal housing in addition to the ones that are already there for the 1156 bulb socket. Anyone done this? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I have already tried drilling next to the 1156 socket inside the housing hoping the black arm would be hollow and that did not work. Also tried pulling the 1156 socket out but it acts like its glued in or something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's not glued in. You'll have to remove the little retainer tab that holds the socket in and the reflector will fall out. I gently pryed mine out with a screwdriver.
You'll most likely have to cut the existing wires because there is a grommet with two holes in it for the existing wires in that black arm to help keep it water proof so there's no room for additional wires unless it's removed.
Keep in mind I'm going from memory because it's been a while since I swapped my sockets out.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I had the same problem of getting the wire thru the stock stem when I wired my Custom Dynamics lights. A little weird but it worked - straighten a large paper clip, take the end of the wire (about 1/2 inch) and super glue it to the paper clip. After its dry, work the paper clip up thru the stem.

Also, remove and discard/save the reflector. Pull the socket out of the stem to give room to route the wire.
The extra wires will prevent full seating of the socket afterward but that does not matter. Just tuck everything behind the cluster board.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I may give this another go. I got some grommets and some rubber hose from the auto parts store in case I cant make it happen I will drill a hole in the back and just create a waterproof connection. I would much rather make it look OEM though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts