Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 5K on my AVON Cobras and seeing some flat wear on the back tire. I have not had any problems with the AVON but have heard alot about the Metzler tires too. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a good tire for the V2K.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've ran stock Bridgestones, Metzlers and Avon Cobras. IMO the Cobras are the best handling and slightly longer lasting rear tire. However, I never manage to get more than 5-6K out of any rear tire. It's just the nature of the beast to chew through them. Only other option to get better tire mileage would be to mount a car tire, but I've already decided that's not the route I want to go with this bike.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have about 5K on my AVON Cobras and seeing some flat wear on the back tire. I have not had any problems with the AVON but have heard alot about the Metzler tires too. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a good tire for the V2K.
6200 on Metz and it looks bad. :mad: I did pull a trailer for 2300 miles in the mountains back in June. I think that chewed it up pretty badly.

Bridgestone only went 7200 also. The problem I had with the stock stones was the front was noisy to the point that I thought I needed a bearing.

I hear folks getting 10K or more, but they must be running straight roads. I almost never go that route. If there's a curvy road, I take it. :D

I think I'll try the cobra next...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
If you're a 5K driver, then it's not going to matter too much what brand of similar tire. You're going to get 5K, give or take, as V2KCruiser and Dadinator say. Based on current wear, I'm guessing I'm heading for about 5K on the stock rear Bridgestone. The front is already noisy, but I can live with it knowing that's what it is. Grip still seems OK.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone see a problem running a Metz front with a Cobra rear?
Well I always used matching tires. Ride line is better, the tires not fighting each other. Unless you have a specific function for the different rear or front tire. But, if people are using car tires on the back I dont know now. All of my prior street bikes Ive used matching tires. Honestly thinking of going with a car tire! So much cheaper. $30 to $70 dollars and at the minimum 4 times the wear instead of $200 to $300.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had non matching front and rear on a Suzuki Intruder about 7 years ago. I had bought the bike with the tires that way. I can't recall the brands anymore, but as soon as the rear was worn out I put matching Continentials on, regardless of the wear on the front tire. With matching tires, the bike handled WAY better than before. I won't guarantee that the V2K would do the same as my old Intruder did, but would presume it will handle much worse.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Cobras are radial tires and the Metzlers are bias, another handling nightmare.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've ran stock Bridgestones, Metzlers and Avon Cobras. IMO the Cobras are the best handling and slightly longer lasting rear tire. However, I never manage to get more than 5-6K out of any rear tire. It's just the nature of the beast to chew through them. Only other option to get better tire mileage would be to mount a car tire, but I've already decided that's not the route I want to go with this bike.

Maybe I ride like an old lady or something but I have my second Bridgestone on the rear and it's approaching 7K miles and still has 3K or 4K more left in it. I do a combination of flat/mountains and I do not hesitate to use the throttle when I get the urge. What air pressure are you guys running?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe I ride like an old lady or something but I have my second Bridgestone on the rear and it's approaching 7K miles and still has 3K or 4K more left in it. I do a combination of flat/mountains and I do not hesitate to use the throttle when I get the urge. What air pressure are you guys running?
I'm running 40 lbs. front and rear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I order a AVON COBRA today and when I bring him the wheel with the worn out tire it will be about 240.00 out the door with a new tire. I am having it balanced using dyna beads and I will let you all know how those work out. Anybody using them now? I decided to stay with the AVON at least until I need a front tire. After reading I belvieve the best thing is keep a maching set on the scoot and the COBRA's are good tires so nothing really lost. Thanks for all the feedback and see you on the road. ride safe

·
Registered
553 Posts
Do you need a tire?
Just some flat wear on there is normal. Mine has a pronounced flat spot and almost no tread on the sides.:eek: I need a tire.:mad:
Not sure you're there yet just by the description.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts