Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its my 2nd tire and its almost gone. Stock dunlop. I heard some guys install car tires on their vulcans. Was wondering what brand,size....I don't want to do any other mods to make something fit,but I am tired of the hassle changing my tires after a little more than 3500 miles. I change my own with Tire irons and I am getting older.

2016,vulcan 900 classic LT. Any info on car tire brand,size,or others that LAST LONGER...a lot longer.

·
Super Moderator
3,091 Posts
There are as many tire opinions as there are stars in the sky. Some of the motorcycle specific tires have good longevity. Dunlops do not last. Do some searches here for many reviews. As far as going to the darkside, there are members who like that option. Inheritly car tires are not designed to be driven on their sidewalls. I guess they do okay since the motorcycle being light compared to cars. Your LT rear rim isn't that wide so if you go that route be mindful of tire size. Michelin and Pirelli always get reviews. There are a lot of choices. Used to do my own tires, but now just remove the wheels and take them to the bike shop. Just did them and the shop only charged 46 dollars. It also included the Dyna Beads. Be well.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have Michelin Commander IIs on my Classic LT, have about 5000 miles on them, and still have lots of tread left, good for another 10k I think. Now they are selling Commander IIIs cruiser edition, which is an even better tire (so I here). These tires (IIs and IIIs) have really good grip (especially in the rain) and are very long wearing. They are also pretty expensive.

·
Registered
VN 800B
11 Posts
Do some research into the Pirelli MT 66 tyres.

I was recommended these for longevity and good grip in both dry and wet. Also feel much nicer cornering than my old Dunlop's.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
Houston, Texas
655 Posts
I've run Commander II on cruisers and touring bikes for years with good results. Dry and wet traction is good. Most of my miles are accumulated commuting in Houston Texas on concrete roads that are tough on tires. Commander II with 17k on 900 pound bike:

Command III at 3k:

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
Houston, Texas
655 Posts
The Commander II was right at wear bars when I changed it three months ago. Going into fall with more rain I wanted to go ahead and change it. Probably could have gone a few thousand more, but changing when I want to beats the heck of changing because I need to (flat).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes, agree with you there. Couldn't see from the other photo that it was that close to the wear bar. Perhaps could have gotten 20k out of it, as you said, that would have been pushing it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Forgot to mention, the Commander IIIs now come in 2 versions, a cruiser version, and a touring version. Your bike would most likely need the touring version at 900 pounds. I understand the main difference is the touring version has a wider strip of the harder compound in the middle part of the tread, to assist with long term wear. Both versions have a softer compound towards the edges to assist with grip in the turns.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dunlop makes and sells an American Elite 3 that is multi compound, hard in center, softer on the edges. I've run one and will attest to longevity, however it's hard as iron in the center and grips about as well, it will slide when you least want it to so unless you have ABS I wouldn't recommend it.
I've run the Bridgestone g702 successfully.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Its my 2nd tire and its almost gone. Stock dunlop. I heard some guys install car tires on their vulcans. Was wondering what brand,size....I don't want to do any other mods to make something fit,but I am tired of the hassle changing my tires after a little more than 3500 miles. I change my own with Tire irons and I am getting older.

2016,vulcan 900 classic LT. Any info on car tire brand,size,or others that LAST LONGER...a lot longer.
I run darkside on my 2liter Vulcan. 30-40,000 miles on a hundred dollar tire. Work way better than you would think. I used to roadrace and thought I would try it, then be able to tell every one it is crazy unsafe... but 15 years later, two Vulcans, 140,000 miles, drag strip, tours to Alaska, trailer pulling, mountain road riding... Here are some posts on the darkside forum that might be relevant for you: Advanced Search

·
Registered
127 Posts
Last summer, I replaced the stock tire with a larger Pirelli Night Dragon (200/70/15).
I also replaced the rear pulley with a Baron's pulley (I figured if I was pulling the rear wheel off, no better time to do it..)

Love the difference it made in how she feels on the highway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts