Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 V2K with 30,000 kms (20,000 mi) and have changed my rear tire 4 times already, with the 4th tire now showing wire....Two Bridgestone Battlaxx, one Metzler Marathon 880 and the last is a Dunlop 251. All have been run with 40 to 42 psi. I do like the throttle a bit too much, but no burnouts or slides.

The local motorcycle tire shop is recommending the Metzler again, but up the size to 240. Because I am a bit heavy (300 lbs) and my passenger + luggage adds another 300 the mechanic feels that the wider tire will distribute the weight better.

Anyone out there have suggestions? I need to replace the back tire this week.

·
Registered
240 Posts
nature of the beast man, most ive read say that the 240 wears out just as fast. but it looks a hell of a lot cooler.

and if you dont mind the rear of the bike lifting when you lean into a turn, then the car tire is for you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
nature of the beast man, most ive read say that the 240 wears out just as fast. but it looks a hell of a lot cooler.

and if you dont mind the rear of the bike lifting when you lean into a turn, then the car tire is for you.
Yeah, that was a bit disconcerting at the beginning but once I got used to it I don't even notice it. Once I found the right pressure it's minimized.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what do we install for a car tire? 215/65 16? I have several buddies that run car tires on their Yami Roadliners but I never really considered it until now.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bear foot

So what do we install for a car tire? 215/65 16? I have several buddies that run car tires on their Yami Roadliners but I never really considered it until now.
de'nad'rs, 205 is more standard for this 6.5" rim. fellers are squeezing in 215-225.. Ive read elsewhere a 235 will squeeze in... bear'ly.
watch your profile. I ran a 205/65 and it fits.. quite snuggly. If I'd a done the eurogears first, I would choose that 235/50. its just so badddd.
your bike, your choice. out, ponch

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh my Gawd....Never do that if you value safety. I don't understand why the Yamaha Roadliner people want to run care tires. It wasn't meant to be. I work at a huge Motorcycle salvage shop and we had a Yammy Roadliner in that was a write off because he ran a car tire on it and developed a high speed wobble at 70 miles an hour. Crashed, but the bike was fixable and the guy lived to tell about it. Car tires are for CARS!!! and bike tires for BIKES!! You can't corner the same with a car tire. It's all about Safety versus dollars. Yes the big cruiser bikes all loaded up with luggage and or passengers will wear a tire sooner, but I believe in safety first. Do what you want, but I would never recommend it.

Just my 2 cents....

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
they dont call it the darkside for nuttin'

Oh my Gawd.... Car tires are for CARS!!! and bike tires for BIKES!! You can't corner the same with a car tire. Just my 2 cents....
too funny!:D but it was good, thanks pcw

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not funny. I value my skin. True story told and one crash seen up close with a car tire is enough for me. As I said,....everyone is still free to make their own choice. I choose proper/stock/OEM motorcycle tires for my bikes. "Nuff said 'bout that"...

·
Registered
319 Posts
cartire

Oh my Gawd....Never do that if you value safety. I don't understand why the Yamaha Roadliner people want to run care tires. It wasn't meant to be. I work at a huge Motorcycle salvage shop and we had a Yammy Roadliner in that was a write off because he ran a car tire on it and developed a high speed wobble at 70 miles an hour. Crashed, but the bike was fixable and the guy lived to tell about it. Car tires are for CARS!!! and bike tires for BIKES!! You can't corner the same with a car tire. It's all about Safety versus dollars. Yes the big cruiser bikes all loaded up with luggage and or passengers will wear a tire sooner, but I believe in safety first. Do what you want, but I would never recommend it.

Just my 2 cents....
If it could be proven, this would be the first "actual' incident of a crash involving a car tire. You should let the hundreds using them now of this incident

·
Registered
409 Posts
If it could be proven, this would be the first "actual' incident of a crash involving a car tire. You should let the hundreds using them now of this incident
I'm not into debating about this, but I actually talked to the guy that crashed and brought his bike to us to buy it at our Salvage shop. He swears it was the tire, because he had just put it on and was out for his first ride with it on. In talking at length with him, he described how the bike didn't handle like he thought it would and so on...and that he would never again run car tires on his bike. He already had put 56,000kms on his bike using bike tires previously and so it wasn't like he was not used to his bike. Anyway....that's all I can ad as to this situation.

·
Registered
319 Posts
tire

Not funny. I value my skin. True story told and one crash seen up close with a car tire is enough for me. As I said,....everyone is still free to make their own choice. I choose proper/stock/OEM motorcycle tires for my bikes. "Nuff said 'bout that"...
Sounds like he was running"motorcyle" tire pressure. I did the same thing when I first put mine on and it will follow every rut in the road. I'm at 30#'s and it drives like a dream. Way better than my slippery ass stone

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Sounds like he was running"motorcyle" tire pressure. I did the same thing when I first put mine on and it will follow every rut in the road. I'm at 30#'s and it drives like a dream. Way better than my slippery ass stone
gi, anybody who does a major mod and then tries to ride their skoot like a hooligan is asking for a crash. anytime I do something either major or even insignificant, I take my time to learn how this new fix actually worx...or not.
First ride on a car tire is very scarey if you dont have any cahonies and are not willing to learn how it wants to behave and what it needs to make it behave.
For those who like to spew "danger, danger, Will Robinson" messages, yes stay far away from a car tire or anything else that might put you at risk... like riding a motorcycle.
For those who are a bit more... exploratory(?) take your time, go reasonable, learn how it is different, how it is same-similar.. about 500 miles down the road your brain will switch from what is the tire doing to what am I doing... I am in charge piloting the bike not the rear tire piloting me. Then all perspective changes and you start to push this thing thru its paces and find it will do exactly what you command it to.
2010 census has the darkside community in the thousands not hundreds w/many having accumulated 100k+ miles. this subject is kinda like algores latest invention; global warming, you have people lining up on either side.
out, ponch
ps. df said to put a stik in that hornet nest.;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ive learned that everything on a bike is expensive and thats why its my Hobby so granted bike tires are expensive, one day of overtime pays for my tires for the year or two if im lucky. Im not opposed to people using car tires but for me, im very critical about how the bike looks aswell as functionality, so for look pupposes Im going to stick to the bike tires.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Question:

If you have a car tire on a motorcycle and an accident happens, are there any insurance ramifications - such as possibly denied coverage of the MC damage or personal injury?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Question:

If you have a car tire on a motorcycle and an accident happens, are there any insurance ramifications - such as possibly denied coverage of the MC damage or personal injury?
Very good question. But considering all the loopholes in insurance today, I would say there definitely would be. Check into that for sure!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
car tire

Question:

I checked with State Farm here in Iowa and as far as they are concerned, a tire is a tire. If it's legal by "your state laws" ,there is no problem what you add to your bike. They will only pay for Blue book prices unless you have added insurance. Now, if by state law, they say no car tire on a bike and i get into an accident, I'm screwed

·
Registered
288 Posts
What he said.

I ran 40 PSI initially in my Altimax HP 225/60R16 and it was scary as hell, and I thought I'd made a big mistake (break-in pressure recommended on the darkside forum). Very stand-up-straightish and not fun at all. I experimented with pressures and 32# is pretty good and feels completely different, almost like a MC tire. I'm going to try 30# now that it's broken in. I rode my dad's VTX 1300 (which feels like a toy in comparison to my brute) and it's definitely a different feel than the MC tire on his bike, but it grips like glue. Hammering it coming out of a corner in 2nd no longer holds the danger of losing traction like the Bridgecrap did.

Don't knock it until you try it. I'll bet he had too much air in it as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Yes.............:D

also....I guarantee that whoever mounted th C/T did not make sure the beads both seated all the way.......sometimes they can APPEAR to but don't actually.

That is absolutely the ONLY way that wobble would happen, given the tire was a new and good tire to start with.

this is my last post so it needed to be relevant

see ya

1 - 20 of 22 Posts