Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Voyager with 5600 miles and my back tire is bald. I am sure part of the problem is my driving, but only 5600 miles!! Does the bike come with a junk tire?

Is there a better tire out there and where do I get one?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nascar,
I just had a Dunlop American Elite (180/65 16) installed this weekend. Targeted for HD touring guys. Got 6175 out of the stock Bridgestone. Michelin has come out with the Commander II. I'm sure others will comment on their experiences.

Frank

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2011 voyager with 7800 and the tire still looks good .I'm a big guy 300 lb. or so and i ride with a passenger half the time .Definitely driving style has a lot to do with how long the tire lasts .length of your trips and air pressure is a big factor .(tire gets hot and therefore softer)
Some of the members have recommended different tires some of them may by better than the original,but in the end is how u ride it. There is a lot of valuable info from knowledgeable members on this forum ,so read up.
Ride safe

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nascar,
I just had a Dunlop American Elite (180/65 16) installed this weekend. Targeted for HD touring guys. Got 6175 out of the stock Bridgestone. Michelin has come out with the Commander II. I'm sure others will comment on their experiences.

Frank
Yep, just replaced my American Elite I had put on 1 year ago in Sturgis. Got 23,200 miles out of that baby. We put between 22,000 to 25,000 on the Voyager per year and I never have been able to get by on one rear tire until this tire. But as noted above, riding style and tire pressure is a MAJOR factor.. I check the pressure 1X per week, more often if I change elevation greater than about 1000 feet, or if the temp drops drastically. I also brake with the front brake 90% of the time and I don't aggressively engine brake. Oh, and I don't do burn-outs or hard take-offs. I know, BOOOORING!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm running the Dunlop 407f 408 made for Harley Davidson. I have put on over 16000 kilometers and the still have a ton of tread. the original stone i was lucky to get 8000k

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine was toast at somewhere around there too. I had a Michelin Commander II put on. Love the ride so far. Haven't put but a couple thousand miles on it so don't know anything about wear yet. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
636 Posts
commander 2

I have a comander 2 michelin on mine also. 3000 miles on it and no visible signs of wear at all!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Combat, what did you pay for the Dunlop, my dealer quoted me $325 plus install. I know the stock size is 170/70/16, is the size you used ok?

Nascar,

Frank

·
Registered
636 Posts
Combat, what did you pay for the Dunlop, my dealer quoted me $325 plus install. I know the stock size is 170/70/16, is the size you used ok?

Nascar,

Frank
325 dollars for the tire? Those people are on CRACK!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nascar,
My dealer charged me $205 for the tire and $75 to install. I got the 180-65 16 and no issues with the size. I know others on the forum have used that size with the Michelin as well.

Frank

·
Registered
171 Posts
My OEM rear tire was done at 7,100 miles.

My dealer installed the 180/65-16 Michelin C-II for $265 total (Tire was $172 plus tax, install was $80). I love the ride and handling, and with almost 7,000 miles on the rear C-II it is not yet showing any appreciable wear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had to get new rear tire at 8100miles. Went with Metzeler ME880 180/65-16, dealer couldn't get the Michelin (out of stock). Very happy with the Metzeler. Having the front replaced tomorrow at 9500miles with another ME880. Anxious to see how they wear. Went with Dyna beads... smooth as glass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just went ahead and went to the darkside with a Avid 195 60 16. Will not go back to a motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just ordered my new 180/65-16 Michelyn Commander II at Fay Myers in Denver for $174.99 and $30 to install. Good enough for me, I paid them already too so they can't jack the price up later...lol:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
$30 for install of a rear tire? Unless you're just bringing them the wheel, that's a heck of a price.

I watched what they had to do to get mine off, and it didn't look like fun. It took a full hour of their shop time, too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I asked him for sure and he said it is $30 if I buy the tire from them and $80 if I bring the tire.

I had them put my last front tire on and learned their price was less than what I found online and it costed me more to install it when I brought it in.

I agree...hell of a deal that's why I didn't hestitate ordering and paying for it.

I will take my own saddle bags off before going to save them some time and ensure they dont get scratched up.

$30 for install of a rear tire? Unless you're just bringing them the wheel, that's a heck of a price.

I watched what they had to do to get mine off, and it didn't look like fun. It took a full hour of their shop time, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts