Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some suggestions. While comparing the rear tire on my Nomad and a friends Voyager a friend & I discovered 3 large cracks in it in the left side tread. The tires are Michelin Commander II Motorcycle Tire Cruiser Rear - 180/65-16 with just under 19000 miles on them that I had put on in July 2016 with a manufacture date code for the 1st week on March 2016. I usually keep 36 to 38 psi in it and the bike is garage kept. The tread still looks good except for the cracks. Has anyone else run across this and do I have a valid complaint to go to Micheline with?

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Same tire & miles on my nomad, no cracks or problems & I ride daily. Looks like a defect. Contact Michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem on the rear of my Voyager, bought with them on so I do not know the mileage but I believe around 15k.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm lucky if I can get 12-13,000 on mine before they are worn out! Sometimes I go through two sets a year! Must be the roads where I live, I'm way out in the country in NC and ride everyday. Michelin Commander II's . Looks like yours just got old and the rubber is dried out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey,
Sucks but I would not ride on it. Buy a new tire. most likely you have ran over something and not realized it or the damage it did at the time. No matter what you can't complain about 19,000 miles on a motorcycle tire even though it looks like you have good tread left on it.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Same tire & miles on my nomad, no cracks or problems & I ride daily. Looks like a defect. Contact Michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunno if it is a defect or not but, regardless, I agree it doesn't hurt to ask. Worst that can happen from asking is they say "nothing we can do".

Wouldn't surprise me though if they said it would need to be inspected by a Michelin tire dealer before they can make a decision.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Michelin will tell you that they do not recommend using that tire on a 1700 Nomad, so they will probably not be willing to do anything, especially with 19,000 miles on the tire.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Well 19000 miles is great ( I get about 12000) but those shoes should have life left in them. I would contact Michelin. Regardless as to whether they recommend it , it is the correct size and load range. That tire would have done the same on my 1500 Nomad.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
get a tube for your tire, the tube shouldn't leak any air

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Ummmm

Keep us posted if you do contact Michelin. With the price that is charged for Commander ll's Iv would expect them to hold up until worn out. That is definitely a safety issue. I have been lucky not to have that happen on one of the bikes I run Michelins on . I ride pretty aggressively and wear the tires out a bit sooner.:wink2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had the same thing happen on a Metzler ME888 Ultra Marathon that was stock size. Only had about 7000 miles on it so I was definitely upset to have to replace it with so much tread left on it. I did not purchase the tire (came on bike when purchased from PO) so I had no recourse with Metzler. Hopefully your situation turns out different.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This has finally come to a conclusion. I'll have to say Michelin was great to work with in dealing with the cracks in the tire tread. After a couple emails and phone calls, they are reimbursing me for 25% of the cost to replace both my tires. In my conversations with their customer service rep, I was advised that Michelin does not recommend the MC II's for Vulcans newer then the 2004 1500's. Certainly I was surprised to hear this since on every Vulcan Forum I am on there are a lot of folks using them on their 1700's. I replaced the MC IIs with Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultras.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This has finally come to a conclusion. I'll have to say Michelin was great to work with in dealing with the cracks in the tire tread. After a couple emails and phone calls, they are reimbursing me for 25% of the cost to replace both my tires. In my conversations with their customer service rep, I was advised that Michelin does not recommend the MC II's for Vulcans newer then the 2004 1500's. Certainly I was surprised to hear this since on every Vulcan Forum I am on there are a lot of folks using them on their 1700's. I replaced the MC IIs with Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultras.
I would love to see such a customer service over here in germany. NO company would do that here - and as I could understand your part, I personally mean, after 18 K miles, I would give a shit on that and replace that tire by my own. Why ? The stock tire (bridgestone) had to be replaced after 6000 mils on my bike, so if a tire had lasted more than 3 times longer for a lower price to buy (front and rear tire was about 10 bucks cheaper here than all other tires for that bike), I have done everything correct.

Here in germany you cannot just change the tire size on a bike, or even a car. You have to get it checked and approved by the german TÜV (similar to the DOT). BUT if the tire manufactor gives you an approved paper, where it is proven, that they already checked this tire or tire combination for this bike, it is legal to mount those different size without seeing the DOT/TÜV. You must have this paper on the bike and show it, if you are checked by the police or the 2 year DOT/TÜV Inspection incl. emission check.

So, Michelin provides you such a paper over here. If they provides such a document, they cant say, that they dont recommend this tire, cauz if they wouldnt recommend it, why did they get that approval document, which cost a lot of money for them to get ?

If anyone is interested in this PDF document, send me a PM with your email and I will mail it - but it is only in GERMAN language ! It states that you could legally change the stock rear tire size to the wider michelin MC2 tire without seeing the german TÜV/DOT and also without correcting the vehicle documents.

Cu,
Sven

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
[/QUOTE]get a tube for your tire, the tube shouldn't leak any air
Leaking air is not the problem. But when that tire decides to shred/separate at speed, he will wish he had already changed it. Not to mention if any big piece of it gets caught by the belt and goes around the rear belt pulley. Also looks like there might be flat spots on the tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts