Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all!

I picked up a screw in my rear tire and am having difficulties finding a replacement rear tire. I have a 2012 Vulcan 900 Classic. I've gone to 2 different motorcycle shops in town and neither can find the stock Dunlop D404 - 180/70-15 rear tire. I've looked through the catalog and online myself and cant seem to locate this tire as well. I'd appreciate any assistance in identifying a rear tire replacement. I'd like it to be the same size 180/70-15.

Thanks!

Z

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just been tire shoping myself. As for the stock 180 size, I understand the Dunlop can be had, but only through a Kawi dealership. Perelli makes a MT66 Route model and the Night Dragon model in the 180 size. Most agree both are great tires and far superior to the stock Dunlops. I'm sure there are many others, if you look around. I personally went with a 170/80-15 size. It mounts with no mods and, being a taller tire, should help correct the common low reading of the speedo and lower the RPM's slightly at higher cruising speeds. Happy shoping to ya!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I believe Metzler also makes a 180/70-15. Check their site, maybe the Marathon or Ultra Marathon.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tire

I currently have the Metzler 180 -70 880 series good long running tire I currently have over 12,000 miles on this set and it looks good.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=180%2F70-15[/ame]

I have also heard good things about the Metzlers. I have 2 buddy's that run them faithfully.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently put on Metzler 880's & LOVE:love: them. Handles sooo much better than w/ Dunlops. Stock size rear has helped w/ the speedo issue, only a mile or two of now.:D

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
If you really liked the Dunlop why not go with the 170/80/15? It will fit fine and you probably will never notice the difference. It's $144 at Motorcycle Super Store.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I too went with the MT66. No more locking up and over 10,000 miles on it with maybe 2,000 or 3,000 left to go. Works well with the Dunlop still up front.

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just been tire shoping myself. As for the stock 180 size, I understand the Dunlop can be had, but only through a Kawi dealership. Perelli makes a MT66 Route model and the Night Dragon model in the 180 size. Most agree both are great tires and far superior to the stock Dunlops. I'm sure there are many others, if you look around. I personally went with a 170/80-15 size. It mounts with no mods and, being a taller tire, should help correct the common low reading of the speedo and lower the RPM's slightly at higher cruising speeds. Happy shoping to ya!
Agreed the taller tire changes the character of the bike. Less shifting and a more relaxed ride. The 170/80-15 tire makes the gears seem more spaced apart.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the mets 180 and its at 11,000 mi ridden hard with plenty of burnouts. Its got 2 or 3 thousand left in it. Ive always had excellent traction and it rides good in the cold and rain. I actually have 880s front and rear and can push em to drag a peg up to 80mph.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently did a tire replacement on my 900. I went with a 170/80-15 Michelin Commander II and love it. Not only does the increase in diameter reduce freeway RPM just a tad to make it feel right, the tires grip much better than my 404s did. Michelin claims that the Commander II will last twice as long as their competitors, but since I only have 500 miles on them, I can't speak in regards to that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts