Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much are you guys paying to get the rear tire changed on these bikes?
I'm talking JUST the labor for changing the tire, NOT including the cost of the tire itself.

I've been getting told the labor alone is between 180 and 200 bucks! add the tire to that and we're approching the 400-450ish mark. thats INSANE!

Is this about average? if so i'm not gonna be getting a 240 rear like I really want, i'll be sticking with a 200 size, and even then it hurts to pay.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
fair price for fair work

How much are you guys paying to get the rear tire changed on these bikes? I'm talking JUST the labor for changing the tire, .
mm'r, $20 skins.. each. is the going rate. take your wheel off your bike, drop it at the tire joint and they will remove your old tire, install your new and balance it. CycleGear.com has been doing mine for years. other shops are the same, $20. or you can pay some shop to do all the work for, i dont know? I know that when I had the harley shop install my rear they charged me $250 for one rear tire(they said that was thier on sale price). so I'm guessing thats $100 bux labor? you choose, you pay. out, ponch

ps. I just bought 2 metzelers for $124 front(150) $179 rear(240)..yup, CycleGear. am thinking I should buy a second pair for later, while the deal is good.

·
Registered
319 Posts
tire

Like Ponch says, take it off your self(it's easey) I get mine done for free, but local shops run between 18-22 dollars. I use dyna beads for balancing

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been getting told the labor alone is between 180 and 200 bucks! add the tire to that and we're approching the 400-450ish mark. thats INSANE!

Well, the initial investment would end up costing you the same, but you might be interested in buying a jack, and a stand. Then the next time you need the rear tire off, you would come out ahead. I am not mechanic, and the first time taking the rear off was a bitch. The rear axle rod was frozen in place. I had to beat it out with a hammer, and the handle side of a socket wrench. I happened to have a "moly" paste which I lubed the axle rod with. Now it goes in & out no problem.

Why both the stand & jack? Well, the rear tire is really heavy. When the VN2000 is up on the stand, you can use the jack for just the rear tire. It will lift & lower that heavy tire for you.

Herb

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
not quite a 1 beer job

Why both the stand & jack? Well, the rear tire is really heavy. When the VN2000 is up on the stand, you can use the jack for just the rear tire. It will lift & lower that heavy tire for you. Herb
Herb'r, why go to all that work. get yer a mc bike lift for $100... or less on sale. Take the seat off, the rear fender comes off with 4 bolts. Lift the skoot a few inches to take the wieght off the wheels. I put a 2x4 under the rear tire and gentley rest it. Take off the brake caliper to get it out of the way. unbolt the axle and push the wheel forward to loose the belt. I put a 2x4 under the wheel so it is sitting on something and it just rolls right out the back. The first time this may seem like much.. but it really isn't. Now I can pull the wheel off this skoot in <5 minutes... includes getting that beer I dont have time to drink. out, ponch

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well damn! They told me it was a 2hour job! looks like i'll find a completly different shop all togeher. I have a M/C jack i can use. whered you get that stand at tho? i'll buy that too and make oil changes a load easier!

·
Registered
49 Posts
You dont even have to loosen the axle adjusters,just remove nut and knock the axle out.Saves having to retension the belt when refitting and have a spare pulley bearing ready just in case it needs it.
cheers

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You guys paying only $20 for a tire mounted and balanced are getting a hell of a deal. It's roughly twice that or more around here. Must be a lot of shops needing work where you're at.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm getting the rear (on the bike) installed for 45, front for 35. I do no labor, mess with no jacks. 80.00 for both, with the least expensive shop in town, and ~125 to ~150 quoted from others in the area. That's ALL the labor for BOTH tires, so sounds like whoever you're talking to is trying to rip you off!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tire mounting

The lowest price I could find in the Detroit area was $49.00 per tire for dismounting, mounting and balance. I thought I was getting a decent deal!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts